Ps2 mouse and keyboard

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
Krappleby
Drutt

Ps2 mouse and keyboard

Post by Krappleby »

A quick one for those who know

Can both a ps2 keyboard and mouse be plugged
In at the same time. Using a splitter on the next.

I known it has a ps2 port. But if I bought a splitter 1 female to 2 male. Could I use both mouse and keyboard without needing to swap them over all the time.?

Cheers
Keith
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: Ps2 mouse and keyboard

Post by Luzie »

Krappleby wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:58 am I known it has a ps2 port. But if I bought a splitter 1 female to 2 male. Could I use both mouse and keyboard without needing to swap them over all the time.?
Dear Keith,

you need a Splitter 1 maile to 2 female like this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0000934CR

Than PS/2-Mouse and PS/2-Keyboard will work on Next in parallel. On this adapter I discovered I had to connect Mouse to Keyboard-Connector and Keyboard to Mouse-Connector, but after doint this it works.

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

As Luzie says, the Next is designed to allow use of a splitter.

If you find that you need to plug mouse into the keyboard side and keyboard into the mouse side, you probably need to change the PS2 setting to Keyb, or at least swap it to the other setting than you currently have. You can get to this configuration screen by holding SPACE at power on, then pressing SPACE again when the list of models is displayed.

The cased Next SD cards come with this setting defaulting to Mouse, because the vast majority of ks1 users only want to plug in a mouse without a splitter, as they already have an internal matrix keyboard.

Having said that, we have seen a few obscure brands of splitters that really do have the symbols marked the wrong way round. Or even wired completely incorrectly, so that only one side of the splitter or the other works. But they're rarely encountered.

BTW, remember not to hot-plug the splitters, keyboards and mice. Only plug and unplug when the Next is disconnected from power and HDMI cables.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
Krappleby
Drutt

Post by Krappleby »

Thanx guys.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »