There is no game

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

There is no game

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Anyone seen this ? My son found it, it was great fun, without anything flash in terms of graphics, hardware or programming. Seemed to me the Spectrum is well capable of this kind of game, if you replace the narrator's speech with a text box.

https://www.coolmathgames.com/0-there-is-no-game

It's been categorized as a puzzle adventure, more info about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Is_ ... _Dimension
Definition of loop : see loop
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Re: There is no game

Post by HEXdidnt »

Great fun, but I think the use of a mouse is almost imperative - a joystick or the keyboard just wouldn't offer the speed and precision that makes this game work fluidly.

There were several mouse options made for the Spectrum, but I don't think any of them really took off... Games like The Binding of Isaac and Dead Estate could probably be adapted to the Spectrum as well, assuming mouse support.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

There is a Speccy version of Binding of Isaac;

https://www.indieretronews.com/2021/06/ ... r.html?m=1
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Emulator support for Kempston Mouse is pretty good if someone felt like giving it a go. There are a few modern hardware interfaces available (Bytedelight etc) as well. Velesoft has patched a number of classic era games with mouse support and they play brilliantly!
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

stupidget wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:04 pm There is a Speccy version of Binding of Isaac;

https://www.indieretronews.com/2021/06/ ... r.html?m=1
OK, but a less cut-down version - something that offers more than 4- or even 8-directional movement and firing would require a mouse.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Instead of having the 'O' drop off, you could use a different letter and make it a controllable character which you use to move other things around. Though instead of doing a straight remake, I'd be inclined to draw inspiration from this concept and make something brand new.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:53 pm Instead of having the 'O' drop off, you could use a different letter and make it a controllable character which you use to move other things around. Though instead of doing a straight remake, I'd be inclined to draw inspiration from this concept and make something brand new.
Exactly what I was thinking, no need to try to recreate "There is no game" but you could make a great game on the Speccy based on the concept
Definition of loop : see loop
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Incidentally, if anyone wanted to try coding something like this, but struggled with a script/concept, I believe I could come up with something good.