Bring Tim Follin home

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Bring Tim Follin home

Post by catmeows »

Hi.
Recently I was listening to Follin's Timetrax and also some covers for less capable soundchips. And then I found SN76489 cover (that's the AY's cousin living inside BBC Micro and Sega Master System).
But there is no AY cover (on the internet). So I wonder could/did anyone make/made cover for AY ?

Proud owner of Didaktik M
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: Bring Tim Follin home

Post by Lee Bee »

Tim Follin is my favourite game composer and this is such an amazing track. I might give this a go sometime, but really I don't think I could beat that SN76489 rendition, it's outstanding.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Has the discussion come up before "did the Genesis/Megadrive sound better or worse than the SNES?"? It seems obvious now -- the SNES was better. The Genesis sound is like stuck in a small metal cylinder going to the moon.

Regarding Tim Follin: there used to be a Web site (maybe long gone?) listing all his stuff, from the early ZX Spectrum beeper hacks, to '90s work like "Ecco the Dolphin", and whatever came later. Is that still around? The BBC Micro had good sound for its time (three tone channels plus noise) but it never sounded that good, hunh.

Check out "Tim Follin tries curried eggs", no connection with the guy at all, but an extremely skilled parody, by Kulor:
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

To answer OP: do we have any technology to convert these things to AY? (obviously not -- but sometimes people do it -- I've certainly heard demoscene AY versions of famous tracks from the Atari or Amiga)
I remember a "MIDI 2 AY" converter, it sounded like hell.
:(

Follin is still alive and would probably do an awful fizzy 1-bit Speccy version for £800. Shall we Patreon it?
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

equinox wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:41 am Follin is still alive and would probably do an awful fizzy 1-bit Speccy version for £800. Shall we Patreon it?
What an idea! I could hire Tim Follin himself. Though, in interviews, he mentioned he hated chiptunes and was very happy when game industry moved into age of Red Book Audio. So may be he would ask more than £800.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

catmeows wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:45 am What an idea! I could hire Tim Follin himself. Though, in interviews, he mentioned he hated chiptunes and was very happy when game industry moved into age of Red Book Audio. So may be he would ask more than £800.
He popped up on css once (comp.sys.sinclair -- in its latter days, when Usenet was dying) and naturally he got mobbed like Gillian Anderson at an X-Files convention. Whew! You only try that once! It is well understood (??) that Tim was a shy sweetie and no celebrity.
something something LED STORM