How to load from tape than save as a tap file

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

ionut76
Dizzy

How to load from tape than save as a tap file

Post by ionut76 »

Please please, is there anyone to explain how to load a program from tape than save as a tap file ? I tried with Audacity and I've obtained a wav file. I saw that people often use Taper and/or tape2tap but these programs are not working on my computer (Windows 8.1). I have some tapes to extract so I need some step by step instructions, please !
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: How to load from tape than save as a tap file

Post by TMD2003 »

You can run Taper in DOSBox, but in native Windows it won't have run since... Windows 98, most likely.

WAV files saved from Audacity need to be mono, sampled at 44.1 kHz and - this is the crucial bit - 8-bit unsigned. When saving (use File > Export > Export as WAV), change the box marked "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM" to "Other uncompressed files", then make sure the header is "WAV (Microsoft)" and the encoding is "Unsigned 8-bit PCM".

It should then be possible to run this through MakeTZX or WAV2TZX.

However, if you really do need a TAP file, this is only suitable for the standard ROM loader - no turbo loaders, certainly nothing like the Speedlocks, Alkatraz or any of those... so if it is the ROM loader only, I'd convert with Taper.

I will have to stop and make a full guide on getting Taper (with an e) working with DOSBox, as it's a while since I installed it... I use it all the time, even after everyone else moved to Tapir (with an i), because that can't handle TAP files.

(Unless someone else steps in and points out there's an easier way to use TAPs. Anyone who says "call a plumber" gets a slap.)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

TMD2003 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:05 am You can run Taper in DOSBox, but in native Windows it won't have run since... Windows 98, most likely.
Sergey Gordeev created a new version of Taper that will run under later Windows version. Download it at:

http://sg-software.ru/taper/

(click on the black button with "Скачать Taper 3.1" written on it)
ionut76
Dizzy

Post by ionut76 »

Thank you both !! I just tried Скачать Taper 3.1 and it works great !!! :)
ionut76
Dizzy

Post by ionut76 »

I am browsing my old tapes and I think I've found some interesting stuff. I'll make a zip of everything and put it somewhere for download and preservation.