Portable retro emulation

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Portable retro emulation

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Well I finally bit the bullet and forked out about 100$ for a Powkiddy X55, it's had good reviews and I was looking for something with

HDMI output
Connectivity to additional controllers - Bluetooth + USB
Emulation of Spectrum, Amiga, Atari VCS (+ others)

Really wanted to do everything with my phone and retroarch - I have this principle that the phone should be able to handle everything. I've got gamepads that attach to it, but when the phone doesn't have HDMI / Displayport / MHL output then you're only left with streaming and then there is just too much lag going on. Annoys me that my first mobile phone back in 2011 (Galaxy Note) had an HDMI connector but not my brand new phone. On the other hand the X55 is the same size as the gamepads, and once I get it setup, it's setup, apart from adding more recent games.

Of course the big issue with Spectrum emulation and controllers is that there's no absolute standard joystick or keys option, so you need some method for setting up profiles for games. Lets see how that goes

Anyway, once the new toy gets here I'll log how I get on with it, and will try to update the Spectrum FAQ pages with a few mobile emulation options and their pros and cons, and links for how to get started with them - Android phone / tablet, 3DS, etc...

I'm meeting some UK based friends for some retro gaming in November, so need to have a laptop and the Powkiddy fully setup
Definition of loop : see loop