decolourizing games

Propose new game/software design concepts or new game/software ideas. They can be as whimsical as you like, just be careful you don't ask someone to make it for you...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: decolourizing games

Post by equinox »

Nick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:22 pm Trying to play Steve Davies Snooker would have been a nightmare. "For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
Haven't read the rest of thread yet (so somebody might have made the joke before me) -- but -- yeah, the Speccy did have two "3D" snooker/pool games. And one of them was Firebird 3D Pool, which was monochrome, but used striping (e.g. vertical bars on one ball and horizontal on another); and the other one was that weird Codemasters (BUT I'm sure they didn't make it in-house ,it didn't smell like Codies -- who made it? Big Red?) "American 3D Pool", which actually coloured all the balls, but it was a Spectrum. So basically you just saw a big mass of red, like a wound.

(I think there were 2D aerial-view pool games too, like that Yahoo Pool we used to enjoy on the Internet, where my ex-wife curses having met me. But not many on the Spectrum. Maybe the CDS family games pack had one?)

Which did you prefer?
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

HEXdidnt wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:39 pm This game turned up in my Reddit feed recently: [...] The creators claim it has a "strong Spectrum vibe", but it really doesn't.
Expect more of this, as game journalists copy stuff that an AI told them. (ethics?)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Vampyre wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:13 am Managed to find it - The Fool's Errand. And it was nowhere near as B&W as what I remember :lol: :lol:
Extremely good, intelligent and unusual game. The same guy made a few others. "3 in Three" was one of them. This is the kind of PUZZLE that we need — something you can lose sleep over for two nights, but then crack — not the braggy lying ones with no solution like Hareraiser.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

equinox wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:47 am Haven't read the rest of thread yet (so somebody might have made the joke before me) -- but -- yeah, the Speccy did have two "3D" snooker/pool games. And one of them was Firebird 3D Pool, which was monochrome, but used striping (e.g. vertical bars on one ball and horizontal on another); and the other one was that weird Codemasters (BUT I'm sure they didn't make it in-house ,it didn't smell like Codies -- who made it? Big Red?) "American 3D Pool", which actually coloured all the balls, but it was a Spectrum. So basically you just saw a big mass of red, like a wound.

(I think there were 2D aerial-view pool games too, like that Yahoo Pool we used to enjoy on the Internet, where my ex-wife curses having met me. But not many on the Spectrum. Maybe the CDS family games pack had one?)

Which did you prefer?
Even the 2D aerial view Pool/Snooker games were essentially colour clash hell on the Spectrum. Round objects of different colours that can be close together and where colour really matters is not really the machine's forte. At least for Pool they had the option of using different patterns for the two colours, it's just about workable. For snooker, not so much (let alone the problem of not being able to do green of brown balls).

If you were a massive Snooker fan, you were probably better off "upgrading" to one of those other 8-bits. Or just actually playing snooker for heaven's sake, computer versions of it are inevitably crap anyway.