YouTube channel links on profiles

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

YouTube channel links on profiles

Post by HEXdidnt »

Meant to bring this up soon after I joined, but it kept slipping my mind.

When we set up our user profiles, we have the option of adding a YouTube link... but it seems as though that functionality hasn't kept up with the way YouTube itself operates. For example, my channel can currently be accessed at youtube.com/@hexdidnt but '@hexdidnt' isn't a valid input for that field on my profile. Nor is the full URL, nor is the 'long' channel name.

The latter looks as though it might work, but the input is expanded to "youtube.com/user/[longname]", while YouTube operates with "youtube.com/channel/[longname]"

Is that fixable?
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: YouTube channel links on profiles

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @HEXdidnt,

We use off the shelf forum software called phpBB. I'm a couple of minor revisions behind the latest version. I will update at some point. Suggest looking at the phpBB forums. For now, maybe add a link in your footer.

I did have a very quick search of the phpBB forums and could not find mention of it.

Peter

Edit.. Similar issue reported here:

https://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=31405
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Re: YouTube channel links on profiles

Post by HEXdidnt »

Thanks for the quick response @PeterJ!

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this turned out to not be a feature worth correcting - this new way of accessing YouTube channels hasn't been in effect for long, and there's a good chance the way it works might change over time anyway. Not even sure when YouTube switched from 'user' to 'channel' in its URLs, as I've not been using that platform for very long... and it's highly unlikely that they'll make changes to the way their service operates in a way that's mindful of adjacent services...

As you suggest, adding it to my footer is a solution.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart