Post by flatduckrecords »

via Facebook

An impressive hand-drawn SAM screen by Phil Wilson:

Based on Zaxxan
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: SAM art: ZAXXAN

Post by Ralf »

Well, it actually looks more some autoconversion, maybe retouched. No matter what the author says.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

I'd like to see the original screen file at least, this one is enlarged and JPG compressed so there's quite a lot of noise.
Quazar
Drutt

Post by Quazar »

Ralf wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:35 pm Well, it actually looks more some autoconversion, maybe retouched. No matter what the author says.
I've known Phil since the 90s and have seen quite a few "in progress" screen drawings showing them being slowly built up as he works on them pixel by pixel.
Quazar - Developing for the SAM Coupé for 30+ Years!
Hardware, Software, 'SAM Revival' magazine -> www.samcoupe.com
Plus hardware for the ZX Spectrum, RC2014 and other general retro peripherals.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I've known Phil since the 90s and have seen quite a few "in progress" screen drawings showing them being slowly built up as he works on them pixel by pixel.
Well, in that case he has a very rare style of drawing, definitely more similar to a converter (a lot of random noise and irregular dithering) than a typical human pixelart.
But I believe you that he creates it by hand.
HEXdidnt
Manic Miner

Post by HEXdidnt »

Quazar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:46 pm I've known Phil since the 90s and have seen quite a few "in progress" screen drawings showing them being slowly built up as he works on them pixel by pixel.
I can only go by some of his other work, but Phil has a VERY good eye, and his images are often painstakingly detailed. I wouldn't have the patience to even come close to the sort of thing he produces.
...Dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind

The Hub of all things HEXdidn't... | HEXdidn't... on YouTube ...on ZXArt ...on deviantart