Some interesting images from Roelof Koning (NL)

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Some interesting images from Roelof Koning (NL)

Post by PeterJ »

The following came via email from Ronald.

I hope I can cheer you up with a few odd pics: Ben Versteeg (L) @bytedelight and Martijn vd Heide(R) with some lady 'programmers', my programs-on-vinyl, a WOS flyer hand-out, the engine room of the ZX-Team meeting this(!) year, 1st page of the (advertorial) Cap'tn Zilog comic, ("You can stick it up your index register") and (rather special) a copy of a 'Tanja Nolte' letter, which Tanja in fact was a german lawyer (Freiherr von Grafenreuth) who advertised in fanzines for swapping software, only for being able to bring his counterparts to court for pirated copies... He was feared before he killed himself...
OK, just because it was you who brought me here: a copy of the anti piracy act by your dutch king Billy, the man was far ahead of his time...

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Some interesting images from Roelof Koning (NL)

Post by PeterJ »

There is more information on Captain Zilog here:

https://www.computerhistory.org/collect ... /102646293

Scroll down for the PDF.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:01 pm
Mm–mmm! Those are some real hot . . . Speccies.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm offering a prize of a 45g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk (UK ONLY) for the most funny (reasonably SFW) caption.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Interesting photos, I remember Roelof Koning from a few Speccy meetings I attended in Germany and the Netherlands in the 90s. I have an idea who the third guy in the first photo may be ... actually found him on Facebook and asked him about it.

Regarding the weird "Tanja letter" in German, wow - never expected this to turn up on this forum.
I know a lot about these, as pointed out in the first post, they were created by a lawyer's office to capitalize on gullible young men who'd be enticed to swap games with a girl. There were multiple versions of this letter, the girls had different names but I think it was always the same address. They were always written with dodgy punctuation and some deliberately mis-spelt game titles, I'm sure this was to make "the girl" appear slightly dumb and naive which in turn may have made her "victims" feel slight pity/compassion?
Once a guy wrote back with a list of games he offered to copy (or even included disks with pirated games in his response), I think he'd receive a cease-and-desist letter with a big legal fee to be paid, or he'd get a visit by the police searching the house/flat for pirated games, resulting in a fine/sentence if any such games were found. Not sure, I've only read about all this in magazines but never knew anyone personally who was involved.

I decided to translate this letter into English, only took me about 10-15 minutes anyway. I've kept all the bad punctuation/spacing to emphasize the slightly amateurish way the letter was written.

The translated letter is in this spoiler:
Spoiler
Hello Martin
I've found your address in Bit-Markt (this was a 80s/early 90s buying/selling classifieds magazine), thought let's write,maybe we can swap programs or just borrow to each other and then copy.
As I've never done such a thing by mail,you'd have to explain it to me in your first letter,so that I can also send you some of my programs.
I'll just go ahead,my name is Tanja and I'm almost 16 years old. I'm ca.170cm tall and weigh 65 kilograms.
My hobbies are:Dancing every Friday and sometimes Saturday depends on the mood of my parents,because if they are in a bad mood I have to be home on the weekend at 21.30 instead of 23.00,then there is no point in going dancing,right?Apart from other things I like going for a stroll and computing passionately.
Now about my games for the PC.
Tell me don't you also sometimes feel,that a computer,takes all the money out of one's purse?They want 7.00DM for a few labels and then there's only 25 pieces in the package.I already receive less than I am entitled to at my age,because me as a smoker have to make do with 50.00DM a month,pretty steep,eh?
So much about me,now my list:
Label program,Escape,Flood,Grand Prix (original),Lotus Turbo Challenge,
Donald Duck, Asterrix , Atomino , Hardball, Grand Monster Slam , Kane , Kick off 2 , Mad Nurse , One on One , Highlander , Hollywood Poker pro , Top Gun , Winter Games , Ultima 3 , Zorro , Two on Two , Flight Nigth,so that were my games.I could borrow them to you or copy them but then I need a few blank disks from you.

I'm searching:Sim City , Bubble Bobble , Barbarian , It s came from Dessert , Ultima 5 , The Never Ending Story and Hanse . If you have the games you can borrow them to me and will receive them back right away after I have copied them . You can also attach a photo of yourself and we can often swap games,that way I also will have games that my classmates don't have yet, in exchange I will receive new games from them that I can then send to you .
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:27 pm I'm offering a prize of a 45g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk (UK ONLY) for the most funny (reasonably SFW) caption.
"No-one could keep their eyes off the impressive toastrack".

Or

"... and then the gentlemen mansplained how to carry Speccys while I died inside and pretended I didn't have a masters in computer science".
CLEAR 23855
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

XTM wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:03 pm \ I have an idea who the third guy in the first photo may be ... actually found him on Facebook and asked him about it.
I can clear things out because I WAS AT THE SAME HCC DAYS WHEN THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN.

The HCC was the largest hobbycomputerclub from Holland and held a fair each year.

At this fair new hardware/games etc. were presented but there was also a corner where old computers were shown.

The last HCC-days was in 2008. I was there each year with my Spectrum at the HCC-Sinclair stand.

The third guy is ROBERT VAN DER VEEKE, the ladies were from a promotional stand and Martijn, Robert and Ben decided to take a picture with a computer in their hands.

Robert is a graphical SAM Coupe user. Did a lot of pictures.
He is also responsible for the development of my first ZX81 emulator because he wanted to play 3D Monster Maze and no longer had a ZX81, I deciced to code an emulator on the ZX Spectrum because the SAM could run Spectrum-software.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Indeed. I sent Robert a message on Facebook with a link to this thread, but he has not responded yet.
I certainly remember seeing you too in some places like Bunnik and Houten. I was usually there with the late Wolfgang Haller of SPC.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

I was only in the Spectrum Scene many years after that picture was taken. But I remember seeing Dr Beep and Ben in some Spectrum related events.

It's always fun to chat with all of you. I kind of miss those events.

Since covid I haven't heard of any events in NL. Do these events still exist and are you all still visiting them?
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

Timmy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:53 pm I was only in the Spectrum Scene many years after that picture was taken. But I remember seeing Dr Beep and Ben in some Spectrum related events.

It's always fun to chat with all of you. I kind of miss those events.

Since covid I haven't heard of any events in NL. Do these events still exist and are you all still visiting them?
Ben wants to do a meeting this autumn.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Timmy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:53 pm Since covid I haven't heard of any events in NL. Do these events still exist and are you all still visiting them?
The second picture of the OP was apparently taken at an event this year. Please see text. PM me if you need contact details for Roelof.
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Dr beep wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:11 pm Ben wants to do a meeting this autumn.
That's cool, just let me know in advance and I'll try my best to be there!
PeterJ wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm The second picture of the OP was apparently taken at an event this year. Please see text. PM me if you need contact details for Roelof.
Thanks for the help, if I remember correctly that was an event in Germany earlier this year.