At Dev's Door (Jon Ritman): discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

At Dev's Door (Jon Ritman): discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

At this point, I'd do a discussion phase thread on the next Clone Wars subject, but I've exhausted the current clone definitions of ZXDB on this site, so that'll take a rest for a while.

At Dev's Door? You what!?

Right, I've been meaning to do this for some time. It's a lot like the best Speccy game by [software publisher] polls, except in these, we go by the people who coded the games. It's probably a more 'pure' poll if we're delving into a coder's softography to determine their best work, seeing as software labels will put out all kinds of stuff that doesn't really link to each other. (Let's be honest, if this were a music forum, then I suppose asking what's the best thing from Motown, 2-Tone or Def Jam makes sense, as there's something of a theme, whereas most labels, like EMI, are a hodge podge of ANYTHING, just like most software labels of the 8-bit era.)

In this series, I'm thinking of key developers who have been highly acclaimed during the ZX Spectrum's commercial era. People like:

Jon Ritman
Joffa
Don Priestley
The Oliver Twins
Raffaele Cecco
Mike Lamb
Mike Singleton

This could run for quite a while!

So, Jon Ritman then...

Batman (3D isometric) by Ocean
Bear Bovver by Artic
3D Combat Zone by Artic
Cosmic Debris by Artic
Dark Star by Design Design
Dimension Destructors by Artic
Forbidden Planet by Design Design
Head Over Heels by Ocean
International Match Day by Ocean
Match Day by Ocean
Match Day II by Ocean
On The Run by Design Design

Yeah, this is very likely to be won by Head Over Heels and there'll be a strong showing for Match Day II, but there's time to savour his other work. On The Run was pretty good, wasn't it?

Anyway, that's the shortlist for the first of this new poll series. Have I got anything wrong in that shortlist? Anything shouldn't be in there? Anything I missed? Let me know in these seven days before I start the poll properly next Sunday!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Re: At Dev's Door (Jon Ritman): discussion

Post by Sokurah »

If this is supposed to be about Jon Ritman ... then why on earth do you have some Design Design stuff in the list? 🤷‍♂️
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Sokurah wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:46 am If this is supposed to be about Jon Ritman ... then why on earth do you have some Design Design stuff in the list? 🤷‍♂️
Jon Ritman is listed as a creator (not the only one) for Dark Star; Forbidden Planet and On The Run.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:49 am Jon Ritman is listed as a creator (not the only one) for Dark Star; Forbidden Planet and On The Run.
Oh, I see. I didn't know that. Has it been confirmed though? Does anyone know what his contribution to those games were?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I think Jon Ritman did the loading screens for sure but no idea how much input he had with the actual creation of the games.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

He does seem to be vaguely associated with Design Design, see this article https://www.crashonline.org.uk/08/rebirth.htm

After Ocean he went on to work with Ultimate / Rare ... quite a CV
Definition of loop : see loop
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Oh aye! I mind that article now! Definitely part of the Design Design team indeed, I’m just not sure I’d include them in a Jon Ritman list of games though, sorry Pete, as his name isn’t really associated with those games.
If you look at @Sokurah Sqij from 2018, you’ll see that I’m listed as one of the creators. I only did a small 8x8 graphic for it, if I remember correctly, and I wouldn’t really expect it to appear in a poll of Craig Stevenson games, which you’re going to do, right @PeteProdge?…RIGHT PETE?!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

redballoon wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:48 pm Oh aye! I mind that article now! Definitely part of the Design Design team indeed, I’m just not sure I’d include them in a Jon Ritman list of games though, sorry Pete, as his name isn’t really associated with those games.
That is a fair point. If, as we seem to believe, Jon Ritman had minimal input on those Design Design games (I mean, making a loading screen doesn't really mean you can take credit for a game's brilliance), then I'm going to have to remove those games.

So now the shortlist looks like this:

Bear Bovver by Artic
3D Combat Zone by Artic
Cosmic Debris by Artic
Head Over Heels by Ocean
Match Day by Ocean
Match Day II by Ocean

However, is that right? I've got a feeling there'll be more of this as the series goes on, and it's right to call it out.
redballoon wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:48 pmIf you look at @Sokurah Sqij from 2018, you’ll see that I’m listed as one of the creators. I only did a small 8x8 graphic for it, if I remember correctly, and I wouldn’t really expect it to appear in a poll of Craig Stevenson games, which you’re going to do, right @PeteProdge?…RIGHT PETE?!
Well, there are so many 'best Craig Stevenson game' polls going on. Every hour, someone does one. I think it's Double Dragon Redux, for the record.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:26 am I've exhausted the current clone definitions of ZXDB on this site
Are you sure? The full list of clones can be seen here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/references.php

Under either "Arcade Coin-Op" or "Software"
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:37 pm Are you sure? The full list of clones can be seen here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/references.php

Under either "Arcade Coin-Op" or "Software"
Wow, well, I never saw that on the front page's search filters! The current filters have all been done in my previous polls, but now I know the existence of this, I'll save it for later.

I'm parking Clone Wars for now, but will return to it early next year. I think it's about time to just have a change and 'At Dev's Store' is just that.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

I don't like the title. Somewhat morbid connotations.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Mpk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:23 pm I don't like the title. Somewhat morbid connotations.
Here's some unsolicited alternative suggestions:
  • Deventh Heaven
  • Devon Custard
  • Dev Becomes Her
  • Devfenders of the Earth
  • Devfinitive Edition
  • Day of the Dev*
  • Planet of Dev: Adventure A
  • DevCON One
  • The Magnificent Dev-en
  • De7en

* that one's already bindun
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

flatduckrecords wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:22 pm
  • Deventh Heaven
  • Devon Custard
  • Dev Becomes Her
  • Devfenders of the Earth
  • Devfinitive Edition
  • Day of the Dev*
  • Planet of Dev: Adventure A
  • DevCON One
  • The Magnificent Dev-en
  • De7en
Paydirt!

Short of "best game by [insert coder's name]", I'm going to chuck "Dev only knows" into the ring.
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Apart from the obvious choices, I think 3D Combat Zone is great.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I think I'll go with Devfinitive Edition, thanks @flatduckrecords

I have been pondering the name for several weeks. I've always been fond of Antiques Code Show, but The Register and some others beat me to it. What a great pun.

I almost settled on King Of The Code, a take on Roger Miller's fantastic song, but that seems to put out the idea that I'm trying to find the best coder rather than their best work (which is why Devfinitive Edition works beautifully). Highway Code was another 'meh' effort. And there are very little opportunities to find a suitable idiom-altered-by-pun for the term 'coder'. Coder Rogers? Nah!

I went with 'Dev' because of the abundance of dev/death puns, and top of the list of the idioms worked really quite well for this. Still, it'll be Devfinitive Edition when the poll starts up properly.

Still using these nine games unless anyone can convince me otherwise:

3D Combat Zone by Artic
Bear Bovver by Artic
Cosmic Debris by Artic
Head Over Heels by Ocean
Match Day by Ocean
Match Day II by Ocean

And suggestions for future devs to cover will be appreciated.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

PeteProdge wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:23 am Suggestions for future devs to cover will be appreciated.
Firelord
Hank Scorpio
Manic Miner

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Pete Cooke and Derek Brewster maybe?
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I really like this idea, but what could make it even more interesting is covering the period before (if possible) and certainly after the Spectrum. Maybe having two awards - best Spectrum game and best non Spectrum game. Jon Ritman is a good example, he went on to do some great games after the Spectrum with Rare and it would give people the chance to maybe discover some of these games. In Jon’s case, he went on (along with Bernie Drummond) to make Monster Max, possibly the greatest Spectrum game to never appear on the Spectrum and could be considered the final part of the isometric trilogy of Batman, Head over Heels and then Monster Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4EVqKSPrcs

I mean, look at it! It should be on a Spectrum!!!
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Hank Scorpio wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:02 am Pete Cooke and Derek Brewster maybe?
David Perry
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Julian Gollop
Jim Bagley
Matthew Smith
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Costa Panayi
Steve Turner

Not sure The Oliver Twins should count, they mainly programmed via the Amstrad, they're not really "highly acclaimed" for their technical programming skills, and there are two of them!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

StooB wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:16 pm Costa Panayi
Steve Turner

Not sure The Oliver Twins should count, they mainly programmed via the Amstrad, they're not really "highly acclaimed" for their technical programming skills, and there are two of them!
Technical programming skill is only one patch on the many-coloured game development quilt.

The Twins stay in the picture.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Mpk wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:30 pm Technical programming skill is only one patch on the many-coloured game development quilt.

The Twins stay in the picture.
There's still two of them! If you're going to count teams then add the Stamper and Pickford brothers, Denton Designs, Platinum Productions, Realtime Games, Design Design, Walking Circles, Special FX, Enigma Variations, RamJam, Big Red and WASP.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

StooB wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:45 pm There's still two of them! If you're going to count teams then add the Stamper and Pickford brothers, Denton Designs, Platinum Productions, Realtime Games, Design Design, Walking Circles, Special FX, Enigma Variations, RamJam, Big Red and WASP.
If the teams are static, then sure.

I'd add the Microsphere guy : David S. Reidy
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Mpk wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:57 amFirelord
Eh?