Game of the day...

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
WIWC
Manic Miner

Re: Game of the day...

Post by WIWC » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Hades Nebula [Nexus Productions, 1987]

If you get past the terrible first impact and you manage to learn how to avoid the swarms of bullets shot at you since the very start, then you have a pretty decent, and challenging, vertical shoot'em up.

Great loading screen and very nice music too.

1 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Rick Dangerous

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Guerrilla War, by Imagine.

A mediocre conversion of a cool arcade game in the Commando/Ikari Warriors style.

Anyway, not a bad game to play on the Spectrum. One of the few Imagine games I hadn't known so far.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 am

Completed Kryssy the other week.

It's the first in a series that culminates in 'Sliders' (though this one doesn't have an English translation). The rough edges show in comparison, but it's still a charming little game. I managed to solve some of the puzzles by accident, and didn't really understand why (the one with the magic exit door).
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm

More Tea Vicar!

One of my favourites from Jonathan, but probably his anti-fave because it's the least innovative. Very sexy graphics and music and, apart from the last level (128K and 48K), excellent level design.

Am I the only one that (silently) crowbars the words "more tea vicar? w-w-w-ould y-y-you like some more tea vicar?" to the music?

If it had an inlay it'd say "Excellent workout for the pollicis muscles!"
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:50 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:25 pm
Am I the only one that (silently) crowbars the words "more tea vicar? w-w-w-ould y-y-you like some more tea vicar?" to the music?
I can only think of Iron Maiden’s joke song.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Ast A. Moore wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm not familiar with it. Do you mean this?

Tsk, very unprofessional. Even when he was too drunk to see, at least Mark E Smith turned up and sang to the punters*.

*granted, he may have thrashed about the stage and vomited instead, but he tried.
1 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm not familiar with it. Do you mean this?
Heh. No, I mean this. (WARNING: A lot of silliness ensues.)
0 x

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Krunel.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=30037

It's a fairly gentle hopper game, with brilliant AY that rumbles the game along nicely. It becomes hypnotic quite quickly, but sooner or later you lose it. Happens around level 11 for me.

It's nice to have a choice of icons to play with, but many of the them are naff or indistinct and don't fit the mood of the game. Robots for me every time.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:18 am

The Running Man.

I didn't plan on playing it for long, in fact it was only for a bit of research for Woot. It was a piece of piss—I completed it in about 10 minutes. The stalkers just walked back and forth, and barely attacked. I didn't see any dogs to boot in the head. I was playing the original release as far as I can tell, and didn't use any POKEs. Is it meant to be like that?

When I played this BITD I remember quite liking it. I had a genuine sense of nervousness wondering when the stalker was going to appear. I certainly couldn't complete it.

There's a nice bit of digitised speech and an intro sequence. If it was a Joffa game, the horsey clip-clops when you run would be a quirky humorous touch, but it's not, and they're a bit naff. Not the worst game in the world, but it could have been a lot better.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Just fired it up. The dogs were there. Never was a big fan of the game, to put it mildly. The intro is very nice, and the graphics are sort of okay-ish (aside from the main character). I like the moving spotlights on the top of the screen to remind you this is a game show. Other than that, I can’t find anything else to like about it. I kept falling through the gaps and quit playing a couple of minutes into the game.
0 x