New game: Castle of Dr Game

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
PaulJ
Microbot

New game: Castle of Dr Game

Post by PaulJ »

The evil Dr Game has set out on a mission to steal all of the classic video games from the world, and keep them locked in his castle for only himself to enjoy. Every cabinet, every motherboard and every ROM has started to vanish from the world as he slowly gathers his collection together.

Gamers are angry, and have sent you to the castle to get them back so humanity can once again enjoy these classics.

Dr Game has locked the games deep inside his sinister castle; a maze of rooms, passages and locked doors. Some of the rooms he has made to look like the games he has already collected, so be prepared as you venture inside.

This is not a mega, groound-breaking release, it's just a test to try our AGDmini. Enjoy.

Download: http://www.thespectrumshow.co.uk/spectrum-games
Paul Jenkinson | The Spectrum Show & other stuff!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New game: Castle of Dr Game

Post by R-Tape »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:35 pm This is not a mega, groound-breaking release, it's just a test to try our AGDmini. Enjoy.
I don't agree! This is great. Saved 6, seen 7.

If Lode Runner is one of the minigames, he'll have to be a pixel.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Fantastic work, [mention]PaulJ[/mention], this plays brilliantly. Lots of character packed into those little sprites and their animations. I like it a lot!
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 pm Fantastic work, @PaulJ, this plays brilliantly. Lots of character packed into those little sprites and their animations. I like it a lot!
Just completed it and doing the review right now. This is not just a test, this is a great game indeed...
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:59 pm It seems like fun but is there any sort of logic to which door a key will open or do you just have to trudge around trying every one until you find the one it works on?
Trudge I’m afraid. Maybe I should have marked the doors or provided some other way to inform the player which order they are.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

pavero wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:49 pm Or you can look at the map. ;-)

https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=CastleofDrGame
Did you intentionally miss out the three secret rooms? :D :D
PaulJ
Microbot

Post by PaulJ »

Rev_Stuart_Campbell wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:05 pm
PaulJ wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:58 am Trudge I’m afraid. Maybe I should have marked the doors or provided some other way to inform the player which order they are.
Yeah, that's a real shame. Huge flaw in an otherwise really spiffy little game that's right in my sweet zone. 25% off.

(And I don't actually see any merit/point in it. What harm would there be if any key opened any door? Obv you'd have to make sure every door had a key behind it so you wouldn't get stuck, but otherwise why can't people play the sections in any order?)
A fair point. I have to concede the 25%.
It would make it easier to play though as I put a fair few 'multi-visits' to rooms in to add to the challenge and play time.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm
pavero wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:49 pm Or you can look at the map. ;-)

https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=CastleofDrGame
Did you intentionally miss out the three secret rooms? :D :D
Not intentionally, I didn't have any idea about existence of secret rooms. :-) But maybe It is a better solution now, I will add them to the map later, of course if I discover them firstly. :-)
Magnus
Dizzy

Post by Magnus »

I absolutely love the graphics and the atmosphere of this game. Looking forward to exploring this further!
My ZX Spectrum emulator project: https://softspectrum48.weebly.com.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

pavero wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:20 pm
PaulJ wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm Did you intentionally miss out the three secret rooms? :D :D
Not intentionally, I didn't have any idea about existence of secret rooms. :-) But maybe It is a better solution now, I will add them to the map later, of course if I discover them firstly. :-)
I'd vote to keep them hidden ;)