Speccy Screenshot Maps

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

eye2eye_
Drutt

Re: Speccy Screenshot Maps

Post by eye2eye_ »

Forest Escape - A Knight's Quest

equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

@pavero I assume all your maps are backed up and archived? In case something bad happens.
Where does one look to check that major ZX scene stuff will survive? Web sites rather than actual Spectrum software. For example J G Harston's pages, or the "Type Fantastic", or the Tipshop which hasn't been touched for longer than my wife*.
Overview page would be good. "If you see Speccy stuff not archived here, report it to the ZX police at once -- after tea and compulsory prayers"

Remember the old days when you just had to go out and get a weird German "SUPER SPECTRUM" CD, and then reassemble the actual games from the random binaries they had got off a newsgroup? Oh? Yeah that was good. Also: who did that MGT Plus D port of "The New Zealand Story" that crashed every two levels? I've still got a bone to pick with you.

* It's okay we broke up in 2004. It's an IRONIC JOKE like Stewart Lee would make.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

pavero wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:59 pm https://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=Roasty
Woot! Can I ask who played this through and mapped it? And did they cheat?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm Woot! Can I ask who played this through and mapped it? And did they cheat?
I mapped it from @equinox RZX and he used a rollback.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm Woot! Can I ask who played this through and mapped it? And did they cheat?
I cheated like a b---h mate. When reading Woot I'm such a lamer that sometimes I have to use rollback just to get through the articles.

P.S. Right now I've got a big pirate-treasure-style map sprawling over my side table, which is the "Domdaniel" text adventure game that turned up lately. There are lots of weird room connections that are not programmed very coherently, so I haven't quite finished linking it all up. But map and solution "soonish" maybe. (Obviously it won't be a "screenshot map", given the game genre.)

XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Thank you for your continued efforts in creating all these maps, @pavero :)
mrcook
Drutt

Post by mrcook »

Hi @pavero, thanks for doing these maps!

I was having a browser around and noticed that when sorting by "score" the pages are taking ages to load; not just the index, but also then when viewing a single map page. There's no problem when using any of the other filters.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

mrcook wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:29 pm Hi @pavero, thanks for doing these maps!

I was having a browser around and noticed that when sorting by "score" the pages are taking ages to load; not just the index, but also then when viewing a single map page. There's no problem when using any of the other filters.
Yep, there is quite complicated algorithm for sorting by "score". :)

I will try to optimise it one day ...
mrcook
Drutt

Post by mrcook »

@pavero

I had some spare time today so I did a little research on some solutions to improve the ranking. StackExchange had this interesting one using a shrinkage estimator: https://stats.stackexchange.com/a/6423

The results are quite good, here's the top few entries:

Code: Select all

8.779 | Atic Atac
8.771 | Starquake
8.549 | Sabre Wulf
8.369 | Underwurlde
8.321 | Knight Lore
8.313 | Head over Heels
8.299 | Saboteur 2 - Avenging Angel
7.896 | Ant Attack
7.850 | Nodes of Yesod
7.677 | Sir Fred
7.645 | Alien 8
7.593 | Dizzy 2 - Treasure Island Dizzy
7.509 | Jet Set Willy 1
7.509 | Chuckie Egg 2
7.487 | Saboteur 1
7.467 | Where Time Stood Still
7.451 | Jack the Nipper 2 - In Coconut Capers
7.432 | Robin of the Wood
7.359 | Firelord
7.300 | Spindizzy
7.281 | Dynamite Dan 1
7.269 | Dizzy 5 - Spellbound Dizzy
7.266 | Great Escape
7.216 | Abu Simbel Profanation
7.176 | Fairlight 1 - A Prelude
7.112 | Skool Daze
Here's the full list with a side-by-side comparison of the current ranking (which I took from your index page): https://mrcook.uk/sm-scores

This is the calculation used:
Weighted Rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C

R = average for the game (mean) = (overall score)
v = number of votes for the game = (votes)
m = minimum required (using: 9.0, anything above 1.0 seems reasonable)
C = the mean vote across the whole report (using: 18344.40 / 9981 = 1.837932)
Albeit not perfect, this seems a reasonable solution - changing "m" produces slightly different results.

It would require a new "ranking" DB column on the game entry, and that could be calculated each time a new vote is cast, probably with minimal performance impact. That new column would allow your SQL to run much faster as it would be a simple ORDER BY.

I guess there's many different ways to do ranking, this is one :)