ZXSR bugs

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: ZXSR bugs

Post by Einar Saukas »

ZXSR says League Challenge scored 5/10 in Your Sinclair review but it was 6/10.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

ZXSR says Arena scored 7/10 in Your Sinclair review but it was 6/10.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

ZXSR says Action Force scored 5/10 in Your Sinclair review but it was 6/10.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

ZXSR currently stores the different compilation scores from the YS review of compilation 4th Dimension. But it's missing the individual scores for each game.

This problem was reported here.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Thanks Einar.

Most of these have been corrected in the Your Sinclair sweep but keep sending these in as my eagle-eyes aren't as eagle-eye'd as they were before :lol:

Some of note:

Hyperbowl: No idea where 7/10 came from, so that's been adjusted to Not Rated.

Raiders of the Lost Ring: I think I had the dumb idea of averaging the other scores to form the Overall where it was missing. I can't remember if YS even did this in the early days (Crash did before they realised averaging all the other scores to form Overall is a rubbish idea). It's been adjusted to Not Rated.

LOTR: I think the fact that it got a Megagame implied that it's Overall would be at least 9/10. But that's not a true reflection of the review so it's now Not Rated.

4th Dimension: Where a compilation has scores for the compilation as a whole then those scores will be contained in the Reviews_Scores table - most of the time this will be a single Overall, but 4th Dimension had the usual YS scores (Life Expectancy, Graphics etc). If the individual titles in the compilation have been given an Overall in the review content then those scores will be in Reviews_Scores_Compilations. 4th Dimension is a perfect example of this. I have a task to go through all compilations and fix to those rules. I've no idea how Spectrum Computing deals with Reviews_Scores_Compilation - i.e. does it even display them? For 4th Dimension the table records are:

Reviews Scores Table:
Life Expectancy: 58%
Instant Appeal: 55%
Graphics: 63%
Addictiveness: 69%
Overall: 52%

Reviews Scores Compilations Table:
Super Cup: 30%
Kraal: 51%
Klimax: Not Rated
Head the Ball: 60%
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:57 pm ZXSR says Lord of the Rings got 9/10 at Your Sinclair #4 but this review doesn't seem to have any scores.
Einar Saukas wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:11 pm ZXSR says Raiders of the Lost Ring got 8/10 at Your Sinclair #3 but this review didn't provide an overall score.

These scores were listed in The Complete Guide To Everything in the last issue of YS:

Lord of the Rings:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 14&page=50

Raiders of the Lost Ring
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 14&page=48
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Cheers StooB.

I thought it might be something like that. My thought was that it would be an end-of-year Overall Score list like Crash used to do in the Xmas issue or something highlighted in the Trainspotters column. I had a look and couldn't find anything but your findings makes a heck of a lot of sense of that now.

And it's reminded me that SU did something similar in the years before it copied the YS/Crash magazine format (or maybe during as well). They did it on a monthly basis and I'm fairly sure some games unrated at the time received a score in these lists.

With that in mind, what's the general consensus here? If a title didn't receive an Overall score in the original review then should the ZXSR review reflect that? Or if a subsequent score is given in one of these lists then apply that? It'll mean some decision making on whether the subsequent score is for a budget review or not (if they're even listed) but I'm sure I can easily work that out.

And I mean an obvious omission in the original review, not a deliberate Not Rated.

Although this one is meaningless I do remember Crash consistently awarding 98% to Aftershockin the end-of-year lists, which was a typo as it received 89%.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

It seems ZXSR doesn't work?

e.g.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxsr.php?id=718
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:53 am And I mean an obvious omission in the original review, not a deliberate Not Rated.
If it was an omission, and they provided later the score that was supposed to appear in that review, then it makes sense to add this score to the original review.

In this case, I suggest marking this score as "Overall (YS93)" instead of just "Overall" to indicate what happened.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:24 am I've no idea how Spectrum Computing deals with Reviews_Scores_Compilation - i.e. does it even display them?
Yes. For instance in the Mantronix page, section "MAGAZINE REVIEWS" indicates that it got 5/10 from YS #19 review, and section "RELATED MAGAZINE REVIEWS" indicates that its compilation "5 Computer Hits" got 8/10 from the same review.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The 2 reviews currently assigned to this version of Dark Force should be reassigned to this version of Dark Force.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The Crash review of Warlord is incorrectly assigned to Warlords.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

SteveSmith wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:28 pm The entry for (not *the*) Street Fighter: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/4 ... et_Fighter

...contains a link to the SU review of *the* Street Fighter.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

These 3 reviews should be associated with Daley Thompson's Supertest 128 instead of Daley Thompson's Supertest: SU #49, YS #6, ZX Computing #24
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Likewise these 3 reviews should be associated with Nodes of Yesod 128K instead of Nodes of Yesod: SU #50, YS #6, ZX Computing #24
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Important notice about Radio Elettronica & Computer magazine:

As REC has been completely filed in SC archive, there are some issues references mistaken in the list. I enclose here this list with some corrections to be made on every link to those magazine issues from July to December 1985. So to say, July 1985 issue is really a double-month release (July and August). The rest has to be modified too, as suggested.

So the same happens with 1986 and 1987 (May/June and July/August in this case) issues. Check every cover of each number to see in which month or months were released.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Neil Parsons wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:19 pm Important notice about Radio Elettronica & Computer magazine:

As REC has been completely filed in SC archive, there are some issues references mistaken in the list. I enclose here this list with some corrections to be made on every link to those magazine issues from July to December 1985. So to say, July 1985 issue is really a double-month release (July and August). The rest has to be modified too, as suggested.

So the same happens with 1986 and 1987 (May/June and July/August in this case) issues. Check every cover of each number to see in which month or months were released.
Fixed!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/magazin ... a_Computer

Program Inglese II was originally released in a covertape of this magazine. Is this information correct?

What about Inglese I and Inglese III? Were they also released in covertapes? If so, which ones?
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

Sure each one of them appeared on covertapes. "Inglese I" in issue #9 - 1985/Oct and the third part of this English course in Issue #11 - 1985/Dec of the magazine.
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:14 pm Program Inglese II was originally released in a covertape of this magazine. Is this information correct?
Yes
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Missing review:
PeterJ wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:01 pm The Datel RAMPrint was also reviewed in Your Sinclair magazine:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 36&page=42
Neil Parsons
Manic Miner

Post by Neil Parsons »

This Portuguese release of "Spacman" type-in from Sinclair Programs magazine could be merged with its parent issue, I think.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The C&VG #93 review of Infiltrator appeared in page 83, not 93.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Black Lamp was reviewed in ACE #6 page 40 and ACE #8 page 68, not ACE #6 page 68.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The reviews of the following games from C&VG #50 appeared in the main issue, but ZXSR incorrectly indicates they appeared in its "Adventure Supplement":

Chimera
Daley Thompson's Supertest
Elite
Fairlight
Grumpy Gumphrey Supersleuth
Gyroscope
Hyper Sports
Impossible Mission
Now Games
Riddler's Den
Rupert and the Toymaker's Party
Shadow of the Unicorn
Sparklers Special
Tau Ceti
The Epic
They Sold a Million
Xcel

I'm not sure if that's the full list, there could be others...
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

The reviews of the following games from C&VG #41 appeared in the main issue, but ZXSR incorrectly indicates they appeared in supplement "Book of Adventure":

3D Starstrike
Airwolf
Gift from the Gods
Lode Runner
Mutant Monty
Skool Daze
The Great Space Race
Viking Raiders

Again I'm not sure if that's the full list, there could be others.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

There are also 5 game reviews in pages 28 and 31 of C&VG #27, that ZXSR incorrectly assigned to this issue's supplement "Book of Adventure" but they appeared in the main issue.