NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Re: NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 am Hi, how can I mark a MIA as a type-in from a book?

Thanks!
Set Availability: MIA (from the combobox).
wallyweek
Drutt

Post by wallyweek »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:21 pm
wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 am Hi, how can I mark a MIA as a type-in from a book?

Thanks!
Set Availability: MIA (from the combobox).
Sorry, I didn't put it the right way. ;)

I have a uMIA compilation tape (JS Compilation issue 01). made partially of type-ins taken legally from other sources.
Before entering a MIA entry for the compilation, I was entering each title first to get an ID to list in the compilation entry later.

Should I simple enter each type-in as a MIA title? i.e. without further info about where they are taken from?
Master of Sarcastic Wit
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:00 pm I have a uMIA compilation tape (JS Compilation issue 01). made partially of type-ins taken legally from other sources.
Before entering a MIA entry for the compilation, I was entering each title first to get an ID to list in the compilation entry later.

Should I simple enter each type-in as a MIA title? i.e. without further info about where they are taken from?
Well, do you have one TAP file which contains all titles/type-ins? If so I would add a new entry with the compilation only. You can add an official note (the source of those type-ins).

I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB. Besides that, separate titles you can add anytime later.
sho
Dizzy

Post by sho »

What am I missing here?
I tried adding developer roles to two games (Xecutor and Explorer). Both seem committed, but I don't see it reflected on the site:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

sho wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am What am I missing here?
I tried adding developer roles to two games (Xecutor and Explorer). Both seem committed, but I don't see it reflected on the site:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php
That's correct. Your changes (seen in the link you posted) are the queue for changes. This is the procedure:

1 - SQL and file structure changes are queued up over days, weeks, and sometimes longer (due to xmas hols this year it's been longer).
2 - Einar incorporates these changes into ZXDB, and releases a new update at the ZXDB github site.
3 - PeterJ installs the latest update at SC, then some tinkering from Pav
4 - changes are now visible at SC

It's not an immediate process, but please don't get downhearted by that. Think of it as a slow and steady tanker that is well on course :–)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

[mention]sho[/mention]

Yep, now we are in the first phase. Your changes were downloaded ("processed") and sent to Einar.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

The "small changes for releases" has a bug - the release month entry is being used for both the release_month and the release_day fields:

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

StooB wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 am The "small changes for releases" has a bug - the release month entry is being used for both the release_month and the release_day fields:
Thanks for reporting. Fixed!

(It was a bug in javascript, so CTRL+F5 must be pressed on the page with the form.)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB.
Ideally we should have a separate entry in ZXDB for each type-in.

If the online form doesn't support adding type-in information, just put a comment and I will add it myself in the following ZXDB update.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 pm
pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB.

If the online form doesn't support adding type-in information, just put a comment and I will add it myself in the following ZXDB update.
[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] Is it any special structure in ZXDB for type-in informations?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 pm What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
Well I would like to know the answer too. :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 pm What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
MIA (Missed In Action): there's already an entry for this old program but no playable files.

uMIA (unlisted MIA): there's no entry for this old program thus we didn't even know about its existence.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:48 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 pm

@Einar Saukas Is it any special structure in ZXDB for type-in informations?
If a program was originally released as type-in, the appropriate magazine information must be stored in table MAGREFS as type-in with flag "is_original" enabled. There should be no publisher, release date or price associated with the original release since this information will be automatically obtained from the magazine.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
By the way MIA programs on Spectrum Computing are badly marked, in fact they aren't marked at all.

See for example here:
https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... acemanblip

You don't see anywhere that this title is MIA, you only know it because there is no download.

On old World of Spectrum you had a big, blue, clickable text "Missing in Action":
https://web.archive.org/web/20150904053 ... id=0009524

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] Maybe such or similar info could be added on the website?

By the way, I wanted to check it first on worldofspectrum.net which is a current copy of old WOS but it look that they don't have
MIA titles at all in their database.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... acemanblip

You don't see anywhere that this title is MIA, you only know it because there is no download.
It's right there at the top, under "Availability: MIA". Or do you mean something else?

That flag if sometimes incorrect though, as it's very easy to add an MIA, and forget to update this status.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MIA - missing in action. It has an entry in the DB but no files. Its existence is based on other information like folklore or magazine adverts.

uMIA - unlisted missing in action. Previously unknown. No files nor entry in the DB existed until it was found.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am By the way, I wanted to check it first on worldofspectrum.net which is a current copy of old WOS
Actually worldofspectrum.net is not a copy of old WoS. It's the same ZXDB content except using old WoS layout.
Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am but it look that they don't have MIA titles at all in their database.
They have all the same MIA titles from ZXDB:

https://worldofspectrum.net/item/0009524/
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 pm
Well I would like to know the answer too. :)
Glad I’m not the only one who didn’t know that! 😁
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

@pavero can we also have the Lambda as a selectable option when uploading tap files pleez.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

@pavero I need to upload a microdrive file (.mdv). Can this file extension be included in the upload tool please?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:41 pm @pavero I need to upload a microdrive file (.mdv). Can this file extension be included in the upload tool please?
Added as Disk Image ...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

I´ve uploaded some additional files for "HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL Dutch Version Schiphol Luchtverkeersleider"
two files yesterday and two files today via https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/add/index.php

I select "Language Dutch" for all files. But the two files uplloaded yesterday don´t appear with Dutch [NL] in the "History of uploaded files"
and from todays two uploads on one is listed with "Dutch [NL]":

No big problem, but maybe you´ll check if something is not working OK? Or am I doing something wrong?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@pavero,

Please could I ask for a couple of additions to the form?

Add file type .ROM. I'm trying to add the Interface 2 version of Mag The Magician

https://bytemaniacos.com/web/?page_id=3453

Please can Enterprise and TI-99/4A be added to other platforms?

Thanks
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:45 pm I´ve uploaded some additional files for "HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL Dutch Version Schiphol Luchtverkeersleider"
two files yesterday and two files today via https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/add/index.php

I select "Language Dutch" for all files. But the two files uplloaded yesterday don´t appear with Dutch [NL] in the "History of uploaded files"
and from todays two uploads on one is listed with "Dutch [NL]":

No big problem, but maybe you´ll check if something is not working OK? Or am I doing something wrong?
Hi @Luzie,

It's fine, because how you can read, the selected language is important for instructions and tape/disk/snapshot images only.

But there is another problem. You uploaded files for Dutch re-release of HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, but you didn't select any publisher. Do you know which NL company published this re-release? Thanks.