NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Re: NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am As inlays have no back side (it's entirely blank), I'm supposed to upload them as "Front", am I?

Thanks for your feedback! :)
Yep, it's correct.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

pavero wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
XoRRoX wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:01 pm How can a new Author be added to the DB so that person can then be added to a title as one of the authors?
You can use this form, if you want to add a new author for existing title:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... lisher.php

There is important to check a checkbox "a new author ...", if this author isn't defined in ZXDB yet.
I tried that, but here's the result:
I'm sure I do something wrong, but what? :)

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

My apologies in advance if I have missed this, but is it possible to add magazine references to a new title. I'm thinking of magazine type-ins and similar.

Thanks
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

XoRRoX wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:31 pm

It's OK. In this field you can select an existing author or add a new one. The button (which you describe) is working for existing authors only.

if you define a new author, how you already did, just press generate and publish button. That's all. ;)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

PeterJ wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:38 pm My apologies in advance if I have missed this, but is it possible to add magazine references to a new title. I'm thinking of magazine type-ins and similar.

Thanks
Hi Peter,

no, there isn't possible to add magazine references. But it could be a new feature which I would add in near future. ;)
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

pavero wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:11 pm
XoRRoX wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:31 pm

It's OK. In this field you can select an existing author or add a new one. The button (which you describe) is working for existing authors only.

if you define a new author, how you already did, just press generate and publish button. That's all. ;)
That was it: I didn't get that the Generate & Publish were buttons. Updated it now.
wallyweek
Drutt

Post by wallyweek »

pavero wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:27 pm
wallyweek wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am As inlays have no back side (it's entirely blank), I'm supposed to upload them as "Front", am I?
Yep, it's correct.
Thanks!

I've just realized inlays needs to be correctly rotated (spine left, front image right).
Fixed and re-upped images. :)

Apologies, I'm not acquainted with the new upload tool yet, it's amazing, however! 8-)
I promise to be more accurate for the coming uploads. :oops:
Master of Sarcastic Wit
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 pm I've just realized inlays needs to be correctly rotated (spine left, front image right).
Fixed and re-upped images. :)

Apologies, I'm not acquainted with the new upload tool yet, it's amazing, however! 8-)
I promise to be more accurate for the coming uploads. :oops:
There is no need to apology. Every new contributor is welcome!
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

A new tool was added:

"Small changes for magazine references"

- you can add/modify magazine/issue/page
- you can add/modify reference type
- you can add/modify ZXSR review ID, ZXSR award

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... azines.php

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] you can try it. ;)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you [mention]pavero[/mention]. Excellent. I will test on Wednesday.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]pavero[/mention],

Thank you for adding the magazine references. Look excellent to me!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]pavero[/mention], could .pdf be added as an allowed filetype for 'Game Additional Material'? (Or is there a convention that says it must be zipped?)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 pm @pavero, could .pdf be added as an allowed filetype for 'Game Additional Material'? (Or is there a convention that says it must be zipped?)
.PDF extension added. ;)
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Added more ULA+ screenshots for:

Utter Tripe
Toofy's Winter Nuts
Toofy in Fan Land
Sgt. Helmet Zero
R-Swype Reloaded
More Tea, Vicar?
El Hobbit (Vah-ka's Cut)
Egghead Plus
Crappy Crates
Coracle
Cheril the Goddess

It's mostly running screens. Loading screens are hard to capture due to fast tape loading on emulators...
Mousey
Microbot

Post by Mousey »

I've just uploaded Lunar Cargo by XFAWORLD; this is my first time submitting anything so hopefully it's ok. I forgot to put the release year in but I'll fix that later!

Once this is processed I will upload Lunar Cargo II, III and IV. I entered "Lunar Cargo" as a group title, with Series as the group type, ready for these sequels. Again, hopefully I've understood this correctly.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

A new tool was added:

"Small changes for releases"

- you can add/modify release year/month/day
- you can add/modify release/budget/disc/microdrive/cartridge prices
- you can add/modify re-release alternative title

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... leases.php
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

A new tool was added:

"Small changes for existing publisher/author"

- you can modify name
- you can add/modify two countries
- you can add/modify founder/owner
- you can add/modify external links
- you can add/modify labeltype

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php

Now I would say we have all basic features covered.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

[mention]pavero[/mention] can 'remote links' be added to the file adding utility, or is there already an alternative way of adding such links (e.g. as in the additional file downloads here)?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:07 am @pavero can 'remote links' be added to the file adding utility, or is there already an alternative way of adding such links (e.g. as in the additional file downloads here)?
I am not sure if 'remote links' aren't deprecated in Einar's ZXDB strategy. They should be replaced by 'Other site' section at SC I guess.

Well, but I am still missing universal 'Home page' site defined in websites table.

[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] ?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Links to home pages and source code repositories are stored as "remote links" (technically table "downloads").

Links to directly supported sites (JSW Central, Speccy Screenshot Maps, CASA, The Cutting Room Floor, etc) are stored as "related links" and "other sites" (technically tables "websites" and "webrefs").
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:11 pm Links to home pages and source code repositories are stored as "remote links" (technically table "downloads").

Links to directly supported sites (JSW Central, Speccy Screenshot Maps, CASA, The Cutting Room Floor, etc) are stored as "related links" and "other sites" (technically tables "websites" and "webrefs").
Yes, it's the actual state. But I still think it should be changed in the future.

In Downloads table I would expect things which I can download directly, it means files. Home pages and Source Code Pages/Repositories are websites for me and should be stored as "related links" (in webrefs/websites tables).

The current reality is also different. Many games in these days have their home page at Itch.io. And these home pages are already stored in related links, eg.:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... ley_People

So I would suggest:
1) Define 'Home page' and 'Source code' pages in website table. It can be realized very quickly.
2) Sometimes later to transform all "remote links" in downloads table to webrefs table.

What do you think [mention]Einar[/mention]?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

I agree that "downloads" is not a perfect solution. However moving these generic links to "related links" is not a perfect solution either.

The problem is, links that don't fit on pre-established categories usually need a comment to explain what they are. However the tables that store "related links" don't have comments, and I don't think they should.

Frankly I'm not sure what's the best solution here. In this situation, I prefer to postpone changes to give it more thought, so we don't risk making a change to ZXDB that may be changed again later. Since ZXDB is used by several sites and tools, I try to avoid changes to ZXDB structure unless I'm confident they are really worth it.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

We have 333 remote links in ZXDB with a various structure. And yes some of them aren't ideal for related links.

But what we need to define urgently is universal 'Home page' website for which we don't need any comment and ZXDB structure will stay unchanged.

Now we have in ZXDB/SC dozens entries (and every week we add new ones) without Main File Downloads section. And it is really frustrating there is no information where to download/buy those files.
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

Some releases (utility programs, recent games, and especially NedoOS stuff) are constantly evolving/updating. Could the database automatically download their new versions from a given URL?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 pm We have 333 remote links in ZXDB with a various structure. And yes some of them aren't ideal for related links.

But what we need to define urgently is universal 'Home page' website for which we don't need any comment and ZXDB structure will stay unchanged.

Now we have in ZXDB/SC dozens entries (and every week we add new ones) without Main File Downloads section. And it is really frustrating there is no information where to download/buy those files.
I agree links are important too. Unfortunately people forget too often to provide links to new entries.

But that's a different problem. If we modify the way ZXDB stores certain links internally, this won't affect how often people contribute with links. Nowadays most games have home pages at itch.io (stored under related links) and nobody add this information either. Almost all itch.io links currently stored at ZXDB were added by myself afterwards. Actually in the next ZXDB I'm adding a few dozen more...

To solve this problem, my suggestion is adding a new field for "home page link" in preservation tools within the form to "add a new (MIA) title/entry". If it makes it easier for you, this form could always insert these home pages into downloads. My release scripts will automatically move them to related links when they are at itch.io, for instance.