The latest ZXDB database update will be applied today at 1530 BST. The site goes down for around 30 minutes whilst this happens.

NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Re: NEW PRESERVATION TOOLS

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 am Hi, how can I mark a MIA as a type-in from a book?

Thanks!
Set Availability: MIA (from the combobox).
wallyweek
Drutt

Post by wallyweek »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:21 pm
wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 am Hi, how can I mark a MIA as a type-in from a book?

Thanks!
Set Availability: MIA (from the combobox).
Sorry, I didn't put it the right way. ;)

I have a uMIA compilation tape (JS Compilation issue 01). made partially of type-ins taken legally from other sources.
Before entering a MIA entry for the compilation, I was entering each title first to get an ID to list in the compilation entry later.

Should I simple enter each type-in as a MIA title? i.e. without further info about where they are taken from?
Master of Sarcastic Wit
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

wallyweek wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:00 pm I have a uMIA compilation tape (JS Compilation issue 01). made partially of type-ins taken legally from other sources.
Before entering a MIA entry for the compilation, I was entering each title first to get an ID to list in the compilation entry later.

Should I simple enter each type-in as a MIA title? i.e. without further info about where they are taken from?
Well, do you have one TAP file which contains all titles/type-ins? If so I would add a new entry with the compilation only. You can add an official note (the source of those type-ins).

I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB. Besides that, separate titles you can add anytime later.
sho
Dizzy

Post by sho »

What am I missing here?
I tried adding developer roles to two games (Xecutor and Explorer). Both seem committed, but I don't see it reflected on the site:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

sho wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am What am I missing here?
I tried adding developer roles to two games (Xecutor and Explorer). Both seem committed, but I don't see it reflected on the site:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php
That's correct. Your changes (seen in the link you posted) are the queue for changes. This is the procedure:

1 - SQL and file structure changes are queued up over days, weeks, and sometimes longer (due to xmas hols this year it's been longer).
2 - Einar incorporates these changes into ZXDB, and releases a new update at the ZXDB github site.
3 - PeterJ installs the latest update at SC, then some tinkering from Pav
4 - changes are now visible at SC

It's not an immediate process, but please don't get downhearted by that. Think of it as a slow and steady tanker that is well on course :–)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

[mention]sho[/mention]

Yep, now we are in the first phase. Your changes were downloaded ("processed") and sent to Einar.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

The "small changes for releases" has a bug - the release month entry is being used for both the release_month and the release_day fields:

pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

StooB wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 am The "small changes for releases" has a bug - the release month entry is being used for both the release_month and the release_day fields:
Thanks for reporting. Fixed!

(It was a bug in javascript, so CTRL+F5 must be pressed on the page with the form.)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB.
Ideally we should have a separate entry in ZXDB for each type-in.

If the online form doesn't support adding type-in information, just put a comment and I will add it myself in the following ZXDB update.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 pm
pavero wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm I am not sure, if every type-in needs a separate entry in ZXDB.

If the online form doesn't support adding type-in information, just put a comment and I will add it myself in the following ZXDB update.
[mention]Einar Saukas[/mention] Is it any special structure in ZXDB for type-in informations?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 pm What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
Well I would like to know the answer too. :)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 pm What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
MIA (Missed In Action): there's already an entry for this old program but no playable files.

uMIA (unlisted MIA): there's no entry for this old program thus we didn't even know about its existence.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:48 pm
Einar Saukas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:49 pm

@Einar Saukas Is it any special structure in ZXDB for type-in informations?
If a program was originally released as type-in, the appropriate magazine information must be stored in table MAGREFS as type-in with flag "is_original" enabled. There should be no publisher, release date or price associated with the original release since this information will be automatically obtained from the magazine.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

What is the difference between uMIA and MIA?
By the way MIA programs on Spectrum Computing are badly marked, in fact they aren't marked at all.

See for example here:
https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... acemanblip

You don't see anywhere that this title is MIA, you only know it because there is no download.

On old World of Spectrum you had a big, blue, clickable text "Missing in Action":
https://web.archive.org/web/20150904053 ... id=0009524

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] Maybe such or similar info could be added on the website?

By the way, I wanted to check it first on worldofspectrum.net which is a current copy of old WOS but it look that they don't have
MIA titles at all in their database.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... acemanblip

You don't see anywhere that this title is MIA, you only know it because there is no download.
It's right there at the top, under "Availability: MIA". Or do you mean something else?

That flag if sometimes incorrect though, as it's very easy to add an MIA, and forget to update this status.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

MIA - missing in action. It has an entry in the DB but no files. Its existence is based on other information like folklore or magazine adverts.

uMIA - unlisted missing in action. Previously unknown. No files nor entry in the DB existed until it was found.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am By the way, I wanted to check it first on worldofspectrum.net which is a current copy of old WOS
Actually worldofspectrum.net is not a copy of old WoS. It's the same ZXDB content except using old WoS layout.
Ralf wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am but it look that they don't have MIA titles at all in their database.
They have all the same MIA titles from ZXDB:

https://worldofspectrum.net/item/0009524/
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:49 pm
Well I would like to know the answer too. :)
Glad I’m not the only one who didn’t know that! 😁
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

@pavero can we also have the Lambda as a selectable option when uploading tap files pleez.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

@pavero I need to upload a microdrive file (.mdv). Can this file extension be included in the upload tool please?
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:41 pm @pavero I need to upload a microdrive file (.mdv). Can this file extension be included in the upload tool please?
Added as Disk Image ...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

I´ve uploaded some additional files for "HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL Dutch Version Schiphol Luchtverkeersleider"
two files yesterday and two files today via https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/add/index.php

I select "Language Dutch" for all files. But the two files uplloaded yesterday don´t appear with Dutch [NL] in the "History of uploaded files"
and from todays two uploads on one is listed with "Dutch [NL]":

No big problem, but maybe you´ll check if something is not working OK? Or am I doing something wrong?
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@pavero,

Please could I ask for a couple of additions to the form?

Add file type .ROM. I'm trying to add the Interface 2 version of Mag The Magician

https://bytemaniacos.com/web/?page_id=3453

Please can Enterprise and TI-99/4A be added to other platforms?

Thanks
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:45 pm I´ve uploaded some additional files for "HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL Dutch Version Schiphol Luchtverkeersleider"
two files yesterday and two files today via https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/add/index.php

I select "Language Dutch" for all files. But the two files uplloaded yesterday don´t appear with Dutch [NL] in the "History of uploaded files"
and from todays two uploads on one is listed with "Dutch [NL]":

No big problem, but maybe you´ll check if something is not working OK? Or am I doing something wrong?
Hi @Luzie,

It's fine, because how you can read, the selected language is important for instructions and tape/disk/snapshot images only.

But there is another problem. You uploaded files for Dutch re-release of HEATHROW INTERNATIONAL AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, but you didn't select any publisher. Do you know which NL company published this re-release? Thanks.