The Release Date Project

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Audionautas
Manic Miner

The Release Date Project

Post by Audionautas »

Hi all

As you have probably seen, since a few months back, the release dates have been added to several new Spectrum games on the ZXDB entries (by the way, congrats for this new feature to the people involved! I love it!).

This new addition to the ZXDB led me to wonder, what about the games from the 80s/90s? Would it be possible to add the release dates for the Spectrum games published in the 80s and 90s on the ZXDB using every source of information at our disposal? We all know that a release date was not as established or widespread in the 80s as it is today, at least in regards to advertising in videogames, everything was or seemed slower back then and customers were not as aware of when a new game was coming out as they are today. The “available soon”, “coming soon”, “out now” announcements were the norm in most adverts. The news sections of computer magazines didn't cover all the new games coming out, a lot of them didn't get a review either, some magazines are not scanned yet... therefore I had some doubts about its feasibility.

So, with this idea in mind, a few weeks back I started doing some research about the softography of some much loved British software houses in order to try setting an accurate release date for their games: Hewson, Durell, Gargoyle/FTL, Odin, System 3, and Palace were the chosen ones, especially because they have short enough, hence manageable, catalogues to start with.

My main aim was to avoid taking as a fact the reviews’ publication of a certain game on Crash/Your Sinclair/Sinclair User as the equivalent to "the real release date". During my research I’ve come across certain games that, for instance, were released in November 1986, but as they were no big releases by a large company, with not too much fanfare, the main magazines pushed back their reviews until February or March 1987 issues. There's also games that magazines reviewed in an unfinished form and weren't released until months later. So IMHO it can be confusing and inaccurate to say the least using the monthly issue of Crash or whatever to set a release date.

My intention was being as accurate as possible comparing different sources published and scanned of magazines from back in the day at our disposal on each entry of the ZXDB and also, in some cases, doing some additional research on the Internet (blogs, websites, webzines, etc.), although in cases like this I prefer to rely on written documentation from back in the day, especially the news and preview sections of the three main British Spectrum magazines as well as Home Computing Weekly or Popular Computing Weekly magazines, amongst others.

---

CONS

As you can guess, this is not an easy task at all, it’s very time-consuming and sometimes quite tricky. In some cases you have to do quite a bit of fact-checking and it’s often an ungrateful job; in some cases you can spend half an hour or more with just a single game to get nothing in the end. In other cases there’s not enough information to set an accurate release date or you just get contradictory dates impossible to check out by any means. On other occasions several software houses like Durell, Gargoyle or System 3 used to include the exact release date (day/month) or simply the month on their adverts at the time, but even in these cases we can’t take this information for granted because some release dates were delayed for various reasons (a robbery at System 3 offices that pushed back the release of International Karate comes to mind), so more research is needed in order to set an accurate release date. In other cases we have to be careful if multiplatform magazines like ACE, The Games Machine or C&VG are referring to a release date for a certain game (except is a single Spectrum release), because it may be for the C64 version or the 16 bit versions instead of the Spectrum version, so double checking is needed with Spectrum magazines, and in these cases the publication of the firsts Spectrum reviews could be useful to have a reference point to compare. Also, software houses like Palace Software or System 3 were focused on the C64 and released most of their games first on the Commodore and several weeks or months later came the Spectrum and Amstrad versions, therefore these kinds of details must be taken into account too.

There’s also a “dark age” around 1982-1984 where the Spectrum market was still in formation and focused on mail-order sales. There were few magazines in the market then and several companies used to advertise their products with titles such as “Our 1983 games’ range” “Our 1983 games’ catalogue” and such, where they also included games released earlier, so in that cases is really difficult to set a reliable release date.

PROS

Keeping in mind all commented above, once we are used to the proceedings, the research process can be hugely satisfaying when we finally come accross certain release dates that seemed particularly difficult to track down. In the end this task is fascinating and really enjoyable if you like doing a bit of research. Also, during the research process, it is very likely that you will find information about other games, including full release dates for them. Please do not ignore them, write them down to investigate at another time. In my particular case I have more than 20 full release dates and other 20 partial release date to investigate further.

More than just a plain year on each entry as we have now on most entries of the ZXDB, I think it’s key to set a month/year basis or even better a day/month/year basis (or year/month/day as it is on the ZXDB) for every game released, whenever is possible, especially when we are referring to a time when the techniques in every department of a game improved and evolved so quickly that within the same year there was a huge leap technology-wise, so from a historical point of view I think it makes sense doing it this way. Also, adding an accurate date it might help to set a correct release date to some entries on the ZXDB, where we have an inaccurate or unknown year of release.

Likewise, I firmly believe that we will get to date hundreds if not thousands, of games. There's a lot of complete or partial release dates published on magazines, and not only that, for instance, the type-in games or the new games released on Covertapes not released on any other format automatically should have the release date of the magazine itself, so literally hundreds of games could be dated that way.

Last, but not least, you will learn a lot about the issues some games had during development, in some cases the reasons behind their delays and you will discover a lot of things about the ins and outs of the software industry at the time.

---

So, all in all, as you can see, we have to take into account very different aspects in order to set an accurate release date. Obviously with lots of games we will never get anywhere, but I think that knowing at least the release month would be very useful and would add a new feature interesting for research purposes, so overall including this feature to ZXDB would be a great addition, since no other games database that I know of have something along the lines... well, except for EveryGameGoing, that includes a list of release dates for almost every game ever released on every imaginable platform out there, but I simply don't know they got the information from, since I have detected a lot of wrong release dates, not only by days or weeks, but by months and even years (for instance, according to this website Nebulus was released by ERBE in Spain on November 4th 1984) :shock:

Well, I'm really interested to know, what do you think about this project? Is it worth it? does it make any sense?

To begin with I will share with you all the results of my research of the Hewson catalogue, and in upcoming posts I will share the Durell, Gargoyle/FTL, Odin, System 3 and Palace Software catalogues. Those games omitted from its softography is simply because I have not found information reliable enough to include it here, for instance, just one source or multiple but contradictory. Please, do share if you have it or find it!

Hope you are interested enough to contribute whenever is possible.

---

HEWSON

+ More accurate

+ City Slicker. Release date. 1986/November/25 (25/11/1986). Although Your Sinclair published that City Slicker was going to be released on September 23rd 1986, the same magazine included the game again in their Future Shocks section on the October issue. It seems the game passed through some troubles during development. The first advert was published on Crash in December as well as the first review, so I give full credit to the release date that Crash published on their feature on Hewson for their November issue.

+ Firelord. Release date. 1986/October/29 (29/10/1986). Sources: C&VG / Crash / Sinclair User). Also Popular Computing Weekly listed both Firelord and Uridium as new releases on the week of 23-29 October 1986.

+ Uridium. Release date. 1986/October/28 (28/10/1986) Sources: Crash / Popular Computing Weekly / Sinclair User).

+ Technician Ted. Release date. 1985/January/9 (9/1/1985). Interesting case. On the ZXDB is dated as a 1984 game, but according to this brief article on Home Computing Weekly, Hewson decided to take advantage of the post-Christmas market, so it seems that several new releases were delayed until after Christmas, including Technician Ted for the Spectrum and Amstrad. Popular Computing Weekly also published this news. On the Retro Diary section from the Retrogamer magazine issue 111 we can read "9 January 1985 - Hewson Technician Ted releases on the Spectrum". Besides, all the advertising campaign was done in 1985 starting in January. IMHO this is a fine example of a game developed during 1984 but released in early 1985, just delayed for commercial reasons. So the release date we have on the ZXDB should be changed even if on the game itself it reads 1984.

+ Marauder. Release date. 1988/June/28 (28/6/1988). C&VG is a multiplatform magazine and I'm not in favour to give credibility when they publish information about multiplatform games like Marauder. Sadly most issues of Popular Computing Weekly from 1988 are missing on archive.org, so since we haven't confirmation from another source, I will cautiously give credit to the C&VG news. Apart of this, the brief advertising campaign for Marauder started in July 1988 and the first reviews were published in July/August 1988.

+ Astroclone. Release date. 1985/October/10 (10/10/1985). Although C&VG and Crash published an estimated release date of October 1985, finally Home Computing Weekly set a release date. Other magazines such as Popular Computing Weekly or Your Spectrum refer to an early or mid October release. The firsts adverts were published in October also and the first reviews appeared in October (by weekly magazines) and November.

+ Dragontorc. Release date. 1985/March/28 (28/3/1985). To check the release date is interesting to remember that Eamon McGing was the first to beat the game on April 7 1985, six days after purchasing it. Also on the Merely Mangram section on the April 1985 issue refer to Dragontorc as arriving too late for a proper review. Precisely on the news section of same issue of Crash they published the complete release date.

+ Gunrunner. Release date. 1987/May/20 (20/5/1987). C&VG sets the release date on May 20. Crash talks about a release at the end of May. The Same goes for Popular Computing Weekly. Other magazines simply refer to a May release. The short advertising campaign started in June. All reviews are from May/June 1987.

+ Pyracurse. Release date. 1986/June/26 (26/6/1986). Sources: C&VG. Crash talked about an end of June release and in this news on the July 1986 issue they complain that the finished version of the game arrived too late for a review, so taking into account that article was written in June 1986 it makes sense. Popular Computing Weekly, Your Computer and ZX Computing Monthly also talk about an end of June release. The advertising campaign lasted just two months (July/August).

+ Quazatron. Release date. 1986/April/28 (28/4/1986). Sources: C&VG, Crash and Sinclair User confirm the release date. Computer Gamer talks about an end of April release. Popular Computing Weekly includes Quazatron as new release for their 17-23 April issue. The advertising campaign took place in May/June.

- Cybernoid II. The Revenge. Release date. 1988/September/20 (20/9/1988). According to Crash the game had an end of September release date. Sinclair User talks about an October release. But Your Sinclair gives a full release date. The firsts reviews were published in October 1988.

- Less accurate

- Cybernoid. Release date. March 1988. C&VG and The Games Machine talk about an early March release. Sinclair User agree with a March release. However Your Sinclair talks about an end of March release. The advertising campaign took place between April and June for the 8-bits and the firsts reviews were published in April 1988.

- Evening Star. Release date. September 1987. There's not so much information about this one, but it seems credible. Your Sinclair talks about a September release and Hewson itself on this advert confirms a September release. That advert was first published in November 1988, so if the release date for Evening Star had been sooner or later, it would have been changed.

- Exolon. Release date. Late July 1987. Crash first published that the game would be published the end of August 1987, the same as Your Sinclair. But Sinclair User published an end of July release date. The advertising campaign took place in August/September 1987. The firsts reviews were published in August. IMHO Exolon was released at the end of July as Sinclair User announced, with the main magazines publishing the firsts reviews on their August issues (out at the beginning of the month) it seems very unlikely the game was published at the end of August.

- Heatwave. Release date. August 1989. C&VG and Crash talked about an August release date.

- Ranarama. Release date. March 1987. C&VG, Crash, Sinclair User agreed about a March release. The advertising campaign started in April as well, and the first reviews were published in March.

- Zynaps. Release date. Late June 1987. On their May 1987 issue, C&VG talked about a June release. On June C&VG did a preview announcing a June release. Crash also did a preview on their June issue as well as Sinclair User, Your Sinclair and ZX Computing. Popular Computing Weekly listed Zynaps as a "New Release" on their 19-25 June issue. The advertising campaign started in July 1987 and the first reviews also appeared in July.
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Re: The Release Date Project

Post by StooB »

Audionautas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 pm
+ Technician Ted. Release date. 1985/January/9 (9/1/1985). Interesting case. On the ZXDB is dated as a 1984 game, but according to this brief article on Home Computing Weekly, Hewson decided to take advantage of the post-Christmas market, so it seems that several new releases were delayed until after Christmas, including Technician Ted for the Spectrum and Amstrad. Popular Computing Weekly also published this news. On the Retro Diary section from the Retrogamer magazine issue 111 we can read "9 January 1985 - Hewson Technician Ted releases on the Spectrum". Besides, all the advertising campaign was done in 1985 starting in January. IMHO this is a fine example of a game developed during 1984 but released in early 1985, just delayed for commercial reasons. So the release date we have on the ZXDB should be changed even if on the game itself it reads 1984.
"After Christmas" doesn't necessarily mean 1985 though. Popular Computing Weekly reported Technician Ted as being released "last week" in their final issue of 1984. Adverts in the magazines dated January 1985 would have actually have been published in early December. I've found Retro Gamer is quite often wrong - that page also claims Match Day was released in 1985 when it was in the charts in December 1984.
Audionautas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 pm Is it worth it? does it make any sense?
Of course it makes sense, but then I would say that since my own work-in-progress site does a similar thing! It only covers mainstream UK tape releases and dates are defaulted to their earliest review dates and then revised using magazine references, barcodes, product codes and chart appearances. Here's my Hewson page.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

StooB wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 am

"After Christmas" doesn't necessarily mean 1985 though. Popular Computing Weekly reported Technician Ted as being released "last week" in their final issue of 1984. Adverts in the magazines dated January 1985 would have actually have been published in early December. I've found Retro Gamer is quite often wrong - that page also claims Match Day was released in 1985 when it was in the charts in December 1984.
Yes, I know Retro Gamer is not a reliable magazine in that respect. In fact, I was about to not use their information, but it seemed that everything aligned: the Hewson news talking about a post-Christmas release, the adverts, etc. I agree that weekly magazines like Popular Computing Weekly seem much more reliable, sadly most late 80s issues are not scanned.
Audionautas wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 pm Is it worth it? does it make any sense?
Of course it makes sense, but then I would say that since my own work-in-progress site does a similar thing! It only covers mainstream UK tape releases and dates are defaulted to their earliest review dates and then revised using magazine references, barcodes, product codes and chart appearances. Here's my Hewson page.
[/quote]

Oh! wonderful job [mention]StooB[/mention]! I'm pretty sure that I visited your website more than once ages ago, but I didn't remember at the time of making my own research. I have to say it's simply great, with lots of useful information, although I find a bit difficult to browse the web. For what I see we agree in a good bunch of release dates (I've seen Hewson and Durell catalogues at the moment). In fact, I had a half dozen more games that I dismissed in the last moment because I found contradictory information regarding release dates (Deliverance, Netherworld, Christmas Collection...). I would love to have a full release date in each case, but realistically, most likely in most cases it will be more feasible to get only the month of release. Anyway, I will post here my research on other software houses when I can to comment later on.

Best regards
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

StooB wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 am
I have been reviewing the information on your website regarding the date of publication of the games of several software houses (Ocean, Hewson, Durell, Quicksilva, Mikro-Gen, Odin, Gargoyle, Palace, System 3..), and it certainly seems very accurate and very well researched. It would be great to be able to add that information into the ZXDB. It would be a great starting point to do more research and, where possible, incorporate year/month/day information to each entry. We would save a lot of double work and double fact-checking doing it that way.

Best regards
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Audionautas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:19 am It would be great to be able to add that information into the ZXDB. It would be a great starting point to do more research and, where possible, incorporate year/month/day information to each entry. We would save a lot of double work and double fact-checking doing it that way.
Most of the exact release dates and definitely incorrect years have been reported in the little bugs threads so they're slowly being added into zxdb. Everything else is really just a very good approximation, but not 100% fact.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Going off magazine review dates is always tricky, given how far they were working ahead for publication. The is particularly problematic given how many games were released around the holiday seasons such as November/December/January when magazines had to often prepare two (or three!) issues in six weeks or so. Certain magazines reviewing unfinished games doesn't help. The specialist freelance sections, such as the adventure columnists, would often work another month ahead too.

But, StooB and others have been doing a brilliant job of logging the incorrect dates in the database. It's amazing how many errors there are, given that most of the entries have the relevant magazine reviews/adverts already linked on the page that directly contradict the existing dating. But it's just a reflection of how the database organically grew over time and the Spectrum scene is still better documented than virtually any other one out there. :)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Best of luck with this - as you've already found out it's a pretty much thankless task that can suck the heck out of your time.

When building the reviews for ZXSR I also thought of doing this - there's a a ReleaseDate column in ZXSR for each title (can't remember if I supply this to Einar for the ZXDB import) - and it didn't take me long to pass it off as a time-vampire.

Unless you can get hold of a press release giving the exact date then the magazines are the next best resource and those are miss far, far more than hit. Unfortunately exact release dates are VERY few and far between in them and it also means delving through News, Previews, Reviews, Letters etc for the merest mention. Multiply that by the number of magazines and, as you've found, you can easily spend half an hour on a single title. ACE, for example, had a useful RELEASE DATE box, but mitigated that with "Coming Soon" that rendered it useless.

Honestly? If you're anything like me (hopefully not!) you will soon lose interest trying to find the exact release date - it'll be fruitless for 99% of titles - even the most well-known ones. One thing you do have at your disposal, that I'm sure you're more than aware of, is ZXSC and ZXDB itself. ZXSC has links directly to the pages for things like News, Previews etc that SPOT collated and that may have the details you require. But, in my experience, don't expect too much from the magazines.

One thing I thought of doing years ago, but never went anywhere with it, is using the dates of the original magazine review months of the big three (Crash, YS and SU). If all three reviewed a title in June 1987 then we could hazard a pretty good guess that it was released in May/June 1987 (I'm more than aware this is not an exact science). If it's reviewed over a few months span then Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4-1987. It's not perfect, by any means, but a darn sight better than we have at the moment, which is Year only. The Charts are also a half-decent indicator, but that's only going to be the better-selling titles.

Anyway, best of luck with it!
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Vampyre wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm Best of luck with this - as you've already found out it's a pretty much thankless task that can suck the heck out of your time.

When building the reviews for ZXSR I also thought of doing this - there's a a ReleaseDate column in ZXSR for each title (can't remember if I supply this to Einar for the ZXDB import) - and it didn't take me long to pass it off as a time-vampire.
Hi. Thank you for your tips. After reading all these responses I know it's not an easy task, and it also can be a demoralizing effort as I already experienced myself, expending a lot hours for just a bunch of small software companies. In fact, I won't go through with it on my own if people aren't interested. I'm not a superhero (sadly).
Vampyre wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm
Unless you can get hold of a press release giving the exact date then the magazines are the next best resource and those are miss far, far more than hit. Unfortunately exact release dates are VERY few and far between in them and it also means delving through News, Previews, Reviews, Letters etc for the merest mention. Multiply that by the number of magazines and, as you've found, you can easily spend half an hour on a single title. ACE, for example, had a useful RELEASE DATE box, but mitigated that with "Coming Soon" that rendered it useless.
Absolutely, half an hour at best! Of all the magazines that I've checked out, Popular Computing Weekly and Home Computing Weekly seemed the most reliable ones and still not 100%. In my opinion when a magazine publish an exact release date is because the software house sent a press release, otherwise it wouldn't make sense publishing it. When two different magazines publish the same exact release date then you know for certain that the software house sent a press release or the journo did his/her job and called the sofware house to know further details. In other cases is just a question of faith or intuition (not two good resources to take into account here, hahaha). For instance, on my first post, when I said that Cybernoid II was released on September 20th 1988, it was based in just one preview article by Your Sinclair, the one that seemed the most elaborated, but also the only one that published an exact release date. Anyway, I guess that magazines got tired of publishing release dates that software houses never met in the end (I can imagine angry schoolboy calling to Crash asking for that game that they said it would be released on September 20 and finally was released one or two weeks later, hahaha).
Vampyre wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm Honestly? If you're anything like me (hopefully not!) you will soon lose interest trying to find the exact release date - it'll be fruitless for 99% of titles - even the most well-known ones. One thing you do have at your disposal, that I'm sure you're more than aware of, is ZXSC and ZXDB itself. ZXSC has links directly to the pages for things like News, Previews etc that SPOT collated and that may have the details you require. But, in my experience, don't expect too much from the magazines.
Yeah, as I commented before, there's a lot of contradictory informations on magazines. I give Popular Computing Weekly and Home Computing Weekly a little bit more of reliability than the big three, but that's it.
Vampyre wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm One thing I thought of doing years ago, but never went anywhere with it, is using the dates of the original magazine review months of the big three (Crash, YS and SU). If all three reviewed a title in June 1987 then we could hazard a pretty good guess that it was released in May/June 1987 (I'm more than aware this is not an exact science). If it's reviewed over a few months span then Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4-1987. It's not perfect, by any means, but a darn sight better than we have at the moment, which is Year only. The Charts are also a half-decent indicator, but that's only going to be the better-selling titles.

Anyway, best of luck with it!
Using the review month of the main magazines was a good idea to start with, but actually is very inaccurate as we can see on the magazines themselves. The idea of four quarters is good (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter, for instance), but it's not enough. I'm still thinking that according to all the information we have at least a month/year release date is feasible as [mention]StooB[/mention] did on his website. That would be a huge improvement over what we have now.

Best regards
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Audionautas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:13 pm Using the review month of the main magazines was a good idea to start with, but actually is very inaccurate as we can see on the magazines themselves. The idea of four quarters is good (Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter, for instance), but it's not enough. I'm still thinking that according to all the information we have at least a month/year release date is feasible as @StooB did on his website. That would be a huge improvement over what we have now.

Best regards
Oh I couldn't agree more - month/year would be a huge improvement. The quarterly thought I had isn't much cop, I agree, it's too wide-ranging.

As a bit of a brain dump I created a query to interrogate ZXSR and for each game reviewed pulled out the earliest known review for all the mags that ZXSR currently holds (Crash, Sinclair User, Your Spectrum, Your Sinclair, C+VG, ACE, Games Machine, Big K, Micro Adventurer, Personal Computer Games, Sinclair Programs, Your Computer and ZX Computing). There's going to be some discrepancies in here - for the vast majority the Issue IDs are in order of release, but there are some exceptions, so there may be some rather huge jumps. There shouldn't be many though.

It's interesting to see how much earlier some magazines received a review copy than others - sometimes many months (Knight Lore is a good example stretching from Xmas 84 to March 1985). It's probably fairly useless information, but there might be some gems in there and it does give a vague idea of when the title was released. I do think that if all mags reviewed it in March 1987, for example, then 02/1987 or 03/1987 is accurate enough without further info. Entirely up to you though - it's your project :-)

You can download the CSV (and database query) from:

https://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/Rev ... xtract.zip

At worst, it might even highlight some Release Years that are out of whack. I've certainly seen a few of these in the past.

I can always try and pull some more info from ZXSR if you can think of anything else. I did think of looking for "release date" in the review text - that was a waste of time - nothing whatsoever.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Here's an accurate one for the ZX Interface 2 (https://www.spectrumcomputing.co.uk/ent ... nterface_2). In the review of it in Your Computer November 1983 (page 105) the opening line is:

"Sinclair launched the ZX Interface 2 at the PCW show on September 28."

Unfortunately I can't find a link to the PDF online. Seems to have been taken off the Internet Archive.
✓ Reviewed
Alone Coder
Manic Miner

Post by Alone Coder »

It will be interesting to see datings for different versions of the same game (starting from demos and so on, until the recent patches).
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Nightshade - Ultimate
I ordered this direct from Ultimate when the first advert appeared in a magazine - probably saw it in PCW at a mate's house.
Ultimate sent me a price list and couple of folded A2 posters of the game (I sold one of them many years later) in an envelope with a red Ultimate franking postmarked 31.7.85, 17p postage. The posters had a sticker on the back " Nightshade 48k Sinclair Spectrum / Plus, Amstrad CPC 464, BBC Model B, To be released shortly @ £9.95 each"

The game itself arrived in a jiffy bag dated (faded and broken text/numbers) 10.8.85 by recorded delivery 52p (yup!)

I later received another bundle of folded posters and price lists on the 11.12.85 and 12.12.85, both with postage at 22p

Nightshade featured on the front page of Popular Computing Weekly 29th Aug-4 Sept 1985
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 872&page=1
Pokes appeared in the following issue
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 873&page=6

Everygamegoing has it released on the 6th Sept 1985, and some releases in 1984....oh well
https://www.everygamegoing.com/search/i ... _type=game

1985, I was 13 years old, sent a tenner in the post. Probably birthday money from April.... that somehow survived until July.
Damn, it takes a lot of thinking about, that was a lot of money back then - especially for me! I do still wonder where I got money from to pay for all the magazines, games, Microfairs, train travel and *cough* TDK D-60's back then.... school dinner money!!!

just a note- in "magazine references" section
Popular Computing Weekly
v.5 #23 - 1986/Jun/5 special "week#1"
17 (PDF) (VIEW)
Hack/Poke
is not for the Spectrum version of Nightshade, it looks rather like Amstrad BASIC to me.
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

MatGubbins wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 am
Everygamegoing has it released on the 6th Sept 1985, and some releases in 1984....oh well
https://www.everygamegoing.com/search/i ... _type=game
New entry in the weekly charts published in PCW on 5th September 1985 which makes the release date late August.
+3code

Post by +3code »

MatGubbins wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 am just a note- in "magazine references" section
Popular Computing Weekly
v.5 #23 - 1986/Jun/5 special "week#1"
17 (PDF) (VIEW)
Hack/Poke
is not for the Spectrum version of Nightshade, it looks rather like Amstrad BASIC to me.
Yes, the two BASIC listings are for the Amstrad CPC.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Some interesting information in this article: https://archive.org/details/personalcom ... ew=theater

JetPac: release date May 1983
PSSST: release date June 1983
Tranz Am: release end of July 1983

Cookie is mentioned without a release date, but might be after Tranz Am. All games released at 5.50
✓ Reviewed
sho
Dizzy

Post by sho »

Hi, CRL budget label Alpha Omega changed at some point to The Power House. (And probably started life as Omega Software)

According to ZXDB, both versions of Custer'ds' Quest were released in 1986.
Also Cyrox and Time Flight have a Power House 1986 date, but only 1987 reviews).

This is the closest I can find to determine when the Power House name was initiated, a news note from CVG in from April 1987
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Valhalla https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=7152
Micro Adventurer 7 page 11 (1984), states the game was released "October 2 last year".

https://archive.org/details/micro-adven ... ew=theater

Not related, but on the same magazine, a bug is described regarding the max amount of objects the game can handle. I think worth to add it to the database: "The game can handle up-to 6 objects on each location, but the player can drop containers with more objects inside, surpassing the limitation and crashing the game".
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

druellan wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:07 pm Valhalla https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 96&id=7152
Micro Adventurer 7 page 11 (1984), states the game was released "October 2 last year".
May be useful to also add a note that the release was originally planned for July 15th, reported here.

Valhalla entered the charts at #5 in the first two weeks of November 1983, so an October 2nd release date fits nicely.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Here's one for Match Point that's accurate to the day. In the 1985 Annual it states that it was released the Friday before Wimbledon Fortnight in 1984. That year was the last time John McEnroe won it. I feel old...

"The most exciting strategy war game of the year was Stonkers from Imagine, and the best simulation, by a long chalk, was Match Point, a game from Psion which followed past successes Flight Simulation and Chequered Flag. Released on the Friday before Wimbledon Fortnight Match Point was an instant best seller."

Anyways, according to a quick Google Wimbledon Fortnight started on 25th June 1984, so by my calculations that would make Match Point's release date as Friday 22nd June 1984.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

Hi everyone!

This weekend I've been adding some release dates through the Preservations Tools (you can check the latest changes here https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... pefilter=4), but one of them is worth mentioning and discussing here because it also implies a change on the release year, IMHO completely justified.

This is the case with CHAIN REACTION by Durell Software.

1) According to the double-page advert, Chain Reaction was released on January 25th 1988.

2). The November 1987 Crash magazine issue includes a coverage of the PCWShow 1987 on the Merely Mangram preview section and in that article Elite Systems already had adquired the publishing rights of Durell's two latest games, Chain Reaction and Spitfire, but they didn't know when they were going to be released (Spitfire was finally released as a budget title by Encore in late 1989).

3). Your Sinclair published a preview of the game in September 1987 claiming the game wasn't finished yet.

4) It's clear that Durell sold the publishing rights to Elite Systems at the end of 1987 (September or December 1987 according to different sources), but those two new games weren't released right away.

5). The Elite Systems name is all over the Chain Reaction double jewel cassette edition, including manual, back cover and the tape itself, and the release date in all cases is 1988, not 1987.

6). Probably the 1987 we see published everywhere is due to the fact that the game was developed throughout 1987 and that's the year that is displayed on the menu, but not the year that it was finally released.

What do you think? Are you agree?

Thank you!
✓ Reviewed
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Audionautas wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Thank you!
Yes, this one's been reported in the little bugs threads here and here.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

StooB wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:26 pm
Audionautas wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:46 pm

Thank you!
Yes, this one's been reported in the little bugs threads here and here.
Thank you! @StooB
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Just realised I didn't state which 1985 Annual it was for Match Point yesterday (it was Sinclair User) nor provided a link for verification:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 37&page=49
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

@StooB
Is there a list of publishers which they are covered in this project?

https://zxgallery.netlify.app/
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

pavero wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:06 pm @StooB
Is there a list of publishers which they are covered in this project?

https://zxgallery.netlify.app/
No, not yet.