Junior Education/Homophones, etc?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Arcachnar
Microbot

Junior Education/Homophones, etc?

Post by Arcachnar »

While I was talking/writing about Calpac Computer Software I remember that I saw that it still says "Originally published as part of an UNIDENTIFIED compilation (please help find it!)" if you look at the games that came with "Junior Education" like "Picture Plotter", "Homophones", etc. However, it also says "COMPILATIONS FEATURING THIS TITLE": Calpac Learning Series Volume 2" and "Junior Education" Is this because it still not sure if it was included in there or has someone forgot to change it?

Also, I was wondering if it is okay to submit screenshots of those games like Homophones, Picture Plotter, etc. Like one for Junior Education (1982) and Calpac Learning Series Volume series (1983) , etc. And credits?

Example:

Junior Education:

Calpac Learning Series Volume 2:

I also wonder IF you have a .TAP that have Spelling Tester or Homophones, etc. from Calpac Learning Series Volume 2 can you submit this? This would make it no longer MIA, right?

PS: Oh. I am not sure if someone else already came with this idea, but what about including the Developer of the game as well? IF it is a different one than the one who has published it.

Example: Malle Muur, Wegwijs op uw ZX Spectrum 48K: Publisher: MCN (Microcomputer Club Nederland) and Developer: Vendex Software Development b.v.

Edit: What is the policy of the 18+ games? I know it is hidden (or censored) for it is NSFW, but is still possible to submit inlays or downloads and all? Like inlays/covers for "What The Butler Saw?" (just in case I am not posting photos) Creating an Adult Section? If you know what I mean.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Junior Education/Homophones, etc?

Post by Einar Saukas »

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm While I was talking/writing about Calpac Computer Software I remember that I saw that it still says "Originally published as part of an UNIDENTIFIED compilation (please help find it!)" if you look at the games that came with "Junior Education" like "Picture Plotter", "Homophones", etc. However, it also says "COMPILATIONS FEATURING THIS TITLE": Calpac Learning Series Volume 2" and "Junior Education" Is this because it still not sure if it was included in there or has someone forgot to change it?
No, it's because we don't know in which compilation each title appeared first (i.e the "original publication" of each title).

For instance, "Picture Plotter" was part of both "Junior Education" (dated 1982) and "Calpac Learning Series Volume 1" (dated 1983). Based on these dates, I would assume "Junior Education" was their original publication. However "Picture Plotter" release date is 1983, therefore one of these dates must be wrong! So we don't know for sure if "Junior Education" really appeared first.

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm Also, I was wondering if it is okay to submit screenshots of those games like Homophones, Picture Plotter, etc. Like one for Junior Education (1982) and Calpac Learning Series Volume series (1983) , etc. And credits?
Yes, please!

Submission form, and instructions for taking screenshots, can be found here:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/help.php

Thanks!

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm I also wonder IF you have a .TAP that have Spelling Tester or Homophones, etc. from Calpac Learning Series Volume 2 can you submit this? This would make it no longer MIA, right?
This is not needed. Apparently these game were never released standalone, only released in compilations. Therefore it's enough to have the tape images for these compilations.

When information about original publication of these titles get fixed, their status will automatically change to "Available".

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm PS: Oh. I am not sure if someone else already came with this idea, but what about including the Developer of the game as well? IF it is a different one than the one who has published it.

Example: Malle Muur, Wegwijs op uw ZX Spectrum 48K: Publisher: MCN (Microcomputer Club Nederland) and Developer: Vendex Software Development b.v.
Yes, that's exactly how it works!

For instance Bruce Lee was developed by Ocean, published by U.S. Gold.

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm Edit: What is the policy of the 18+ games? I know it is hidden (or censored) for it is NSFW, but is still possible to submit inlays or downloads and all? Like inlays/covers for "What The Butler Saw?" (just in case I am not posting photos) Creating an Adult Section? If you know what I mean.
Please submit adult content too. They are hidden at SpectrumComputing, but you will be able to see them at https://zxinfo.dk/ for instance.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Okay. I will submit screenshots of the games of both Junior Education/Calpac learning series and others in the adult games section.

About the naming of the screenshots. Like this for the title screen(s) of Picture Plotter? (They are not loading screens.)

Junior Education:

0016003-title-1

Calpac Learning Series Volume 1:

0016003-title-2

There is one review of Junior Education goes back to Dec.1982 AND Jan. 1983;

But I get the confusion.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/page.ph ... 40&page=61

PS: Phew. I saw the requirement of how to name the .SCR screenshots and I suddenly remember that I forgot to name them like that in case with "Moord In het flatgebouw" (Or as it says in the book of the ZXSpectrum version: "Moordenaar in het Flatgebouw") Oops. But luckily it automatically changed.

Edit: What border color is usually used? Also, will it be/is it possible to see the screenshots and replace them before posting them? It is to make sure that you know that it is the right screenshot(s), format or checking that you have the right one that you have comment on. Otherwise you have to upload them, see them and then remove them if they are they are wrong. If you know what I mean.

Edit: Oh crap. Oh. I messed up the screenshots a bit, but I have fixed them.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Okay. I know that this a double post, but time ran out and I was not too fast to include this in my previous post. (sorry)

1) Can someone double-check my submissions of the credits of the games that were included with Junior Education and Calpac Learning series? Is it possible that you can check them yourself or change them? That is because I think I accidently wrote "J.J. Warren (UK)" instead of "J.J. Warren".

2) Yesterday I noticed that if you type "Tens and Units Addition" in the "ZXDB existing title/entry (fulltext):" of the "Add new files for existing ZXDB title/entry" it will say "Tens and Units Addition ()(unknown) " as if it is not known when it was published and who the actual publisher is. However, if you look at the general info of the game it actually says:

Release Date:1983
Original Publisher: Calpac Computer Software (UK) - within compilation "Calpac Learning Series Volume 1"

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... s_Addition

That is why I have put Calpac Computer Software as the publisher when I submitted a loading screen/title screen of the game. (although it says that this publisher is not defined for this title yet) I hope that this is okay.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Arcachnar wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:12 pm 1) Can someone double-check my submissions of the credits of the games that were included with Junior Education and Calpac Learning series? Is it possible that you can check them yourself or change them? That is because I think I accidently wrote "J.J. Warren (UK)" instead of "J.J. Warren".
You can always check your submissions here:
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/zxdb/ad ... ishers.php

And yes, you can edit your submissions if you use the same form and select the same title again. ;-)

J.J. Warren already exists in the database, so you should select 'J.J. Warren [ID:6617] [GB]' and not to add him again.

Arcachnar wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:12 pm 2) Yesterday I noticed that if you type "Tens and Units Addition" in the "ZXDB existing title/entry (fulltext):" of the "Add new files for existing ZXDB title/entry" it will say "Tens and Units Addition ()(unknown) " as if it is not known when it was published and who the actual publisher is. However, if you look at the general info of the game it actually says:

Release Date:1983
Original Publisher: Calpac Computer Software (UK) - within compilation "Calpac Learning Series Volume 1"

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... s_Addition

That is why I have put Calpac Computer Software as the publisher when I submitted a loading screen/title screen of the game. (although it says that this publisher is not defined for this title yet) I hope that this is okay.
It's OK. Because the connection between Title and Publisher isn't direct, that's why you can see '()(unknown) ' and in the detail you can see 'within compilation '. So in this case it doesn't matter if you select the publisher or not, the publisher is important for titles with more re-releasers only.
Arcachnar
Microbot

Post by Arcachnar »

Yes. I have done the credits of the Junior Education and Calpac Learning Series Volume 1, 2 and 3. Phew. (Please tell if I have missed one or two) Now the screenshots.

1) About the "- within compilation "Calpac Learning Series Volume 3" I think that indeed may be the cause that the publisher does not show up and shows () instead. I really hope it is okay that I have put Calpac Computer Software [ID:2143] [GB] as publisher there to try to fix it.

2) will there be a possibility to see/preview the .SCR screenshots (or the inlays, etc) first that you have upload it/them before posting them? It is to make sure that you know that it is the right size, right screenshot(s), format or checking that you have the right one that you comment on, etc. Otherwise you have to 1) upload them, 2) submit 3) look at them at history 4) and then remove them if they are they are wrong. If you know what I mean.

PS: Also thank you for showing the right way to the credits. I indeed wrote J.J. Warren (UK), but I have fixed them.

Edit: Oh. I already asked this in a previous post. Sorry. Oh well.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Arcachnar wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:40 pm 2) will there be a possibility to see/preview the .SCR screenshots (or the inlays, etc) first that you have upload it/them before posting them? It is to make sure that you know that it is the right size, right screenshot(s), format or checking that you have the right one that you comment on, etc. Otherwise you have to 1) upload them, 2) submit 3) look at them at history 4) and then remove them if they are they are wrong. If you know what I mean.
Unfortunately not. You must check them in your emulator when you create them.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Arcachnar wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:23 pm PS: Phew. I saw the requirement of how to name the .SCR screenshots and I suddenly remember that I forgot to name them like that in case with "Moord In het flatgebouw" (Or as it says in the book of the ZXSpectrum version: "Moordenaar in het Flatgebouw") Oops. But luckily it automatically changed.
BTW, If you use the online form for uploading screenshots you don't have to care about the correct naming at all. ;)