Inkspector 2.0.4 available

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Inky
Dizzy

Inkspector 2.0.4 available

Post by Inky »

This release contains the usual selection of new features, and has a lot of bugs squashed. My personal favourite being that the Ah Diddums! bear now twitches properly.

Full details here:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector/whatsnew.txt

Inkspector 2.0.4 here:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector

There’s some examples in the whatsnew.txt on how to set conditional breakpoints (break on any condition at any time, e.g. a register or memory contents becoming a particular value, in addition to being able to break on read/write ranges). I’m going to finish off the proper documention shortly and will get that out before the end of January. No, really.

Happy New Year!
Inky.
andydansby
Microbot

Re: Inkspector 2.0.4 available

Post by andydansby »

Just downloaded and installed. Working perfectly for me. I especially love that I can boot in 128k mode by just opening my TAP file.
Thank you for this release.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @Inky,

The option to spool in code from a text file is a most welcome addition.

Thanks also for the work on the tape save buttons.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Hi Inky,

how does it look with the implementation of this?

viewtopic.php?p=78048#p78048
viewtopic.php?p=79893#p79893

Is it still planned or was it denied definitely?

Thanks!
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:42 pm Hi Inky,

Thanks!
Still planned. Should be in the next release (in roughly a month or two).
hexaae
Dizzy

Post by hexaae »

pavero wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:42 pm Hi Inky,

Thanks!
Yeah remappable extra controller buttons for games (jump, grenade, 2nd fire button...) would be great.
ATM Inkspector doesn't detect my arcade stick Hori Fighting Stick Mini at all: is dead, both buttons and stick directions (XInput DPAD device)! :(
Kempston works only with gamepad controller (XBox One BT).
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

@Inky

I'd like to make a feature request.

When you Select Emulation Speed (F7) and click on the bar and select above or below the current speed (directly on the trackbar), can you adjust it to go down 5 or 10% less or greater? Currently it goes 100% faster or slower. I know that you can manually drag the trackbar to whatever speed, but it would be nice to have to default to a smaller percentage instead of the 100% change

Thanks.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

andydansby wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:32 pm @Inky

I'd like to make a feature request.

When you Select Emulation Speed (F7) and click on the bar and select above or below the current speed (directly on the trackbar), can you adjust it to go down 5 or 10% less or greater? Currently it goes 100% faster or slower. I know that you can manually drag the trackbar to whatever speed, but it would be nice to have to default to a smaller percentage instead of the 100% change

Thanks.
Added to my todo list. I'll see what I can do.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

I'm currently helping develop a game in which I'd like to detect if a Kempston joystick (interface) is present or not.

The code I'm using (which I've nicked from Starquake) is:

Code: Select all

isKempstonPresent:
        ld   b,0

.kempstonPortTestLp:
        ld   a,224
        out  (31),a
        in   a,(31)
        and  224

ret   nz

djnz .kempstonPortTestLp

ret
Which returns Z if present, NZ if not.

In most emulators such as SpecEmu and Spectaculator, and my real gray +2, it is working great. Not so in Inkspector and Fuse.

Should this work reliably on all real hardware? If so, could this be fixed in Inkspector?
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

XoRRoX wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:56 pm Should this work reliably on all real hardware? If so, could this be fixed in Inkspector?
I think, there are modified Kempston interfaces, and these use all the eight bits. So - be careful.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

Works fine here! :D

I knocked up some test code based on your detection code (although I did comment out the OUT as it's superfluous). If you're running Inkspector 2.0.4, copy the code below to the clipboard and choose Tools->Assemble Clipboard Contents. The border should become red to indicate absence (NZ) of a Kempston or green if present (Z). You can hot-patch the Kempston from the Machine->Hot Peripheral Patching->Kempston Joystick Interface to see the border change colour immediately.

Code: Select all

ORG 32768
		EXECUTE IMMEDIATE

Go:		call	isKempstonPresent
		ld	a,4
		jr	z,.found

ld	a,2

.found:		out	(254),a
		jr	Go

isKempstonPresent:
		ld   b,0

.kempstonPortTestLp:
		;ld   a,224
		;out  (31),a
		in   a,(31)
		and  224
		ret   nz

djnz .kempstonPortTestLp
		ret

END 	Go
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Inky wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:09 pmYou can hot-patch the Kempston from the Machine->Hot Peripheral Patching->Kempston Joystick Interface
Thank you for replying.

I see, it was this that I understood wrong. In other emulators, when changing it in the options, it's effective immediately.
Is there a reason to have the Hot Peripheral Patching separate from the options?

With the Joystick options, I thought that when setting one of the joystick options to Kempston, it would mean it was enabled, and when set to None or a different type, Kempston would be off.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

XoRRoX wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:06 pm Thank you for replying.

I see, it was this that I understood wrong. In other emulators, when changing it in the options, it's effective immediately.
Is there a reason to have the Hot Peripheral Patching separate from the options?

With the Joystick options, I thought that when setting one of the joystick options to Kempston, it would mean it was enabled, and when set to None or a different type, Kempston would be off.
OK, there’s currently the following ways to attach and configure peripherals in Inkspector:

Via Options→Peripherals (1)
Specifies the peripherals to attach to the emulated machines. These changes are remembered between Inkspector sessions.

Via Options→Peripherals (2)
Specifies the peripherals to attach *to a specific snapshot file*. For example, you can browse to a starquake.tzx file and set “Kempston Joystick Interface” just as you were enabling it for an emulated machine and it will be attached whenever it’s loaded (regardless of path – it recognises the snapshot by checksum). These changes are also remembered between sessions.

Via Hot-Peripheral-Patching
Temporarily adds or removes the peripheral, and without having to re-start the machine. i.e. the changes are forgotten when Inkspector is closed. The next time it’s started, the peripherals will be attached as configured in Options→Peripherals.

Also, if you have Keyboard As Joystick (Options→Keyboard) set to “Kempson Joystick Interface” Inkspector must attach a Kempston regardless of the above settings, otherwise it just wouldn’t work :)

HTH.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Silly question on InkSpector. How do I view the registers while debugging?
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

andydansby wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:07 am Silly question on InkSpector. How do I view the registers while debugging?
As of 2.0.4, the registers window is now a regular tools window and no longer opened and closed by the debugger. It's opened from the main window's View menu (shortcut Alt-F).
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Inky wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:46 pm OK, there’s currently the following ways to attach and configure peripherals in Inkspector:

Via Options→Peripherals (1)
Specifies the peripherals to attach to the emulated machines. These changes are remembered between Inkspector sessions.

Via Options→Peripherals (2)
Specifies the peripherals to attach *to a specific snapshot file*. For example, you can browse to a starquake.tzx file and set “Kempston Joystick Interface” just as you were enabling it for an emulated machine and it will be attached whenever it’s loaded (regardless of path – it recognises the snapshot by checksum). These changes are also remembered between sessions.

Via Hot-Peripheral-Patching
Temporarily adds or removes the peripheral, and without having to re-start the machine. i.e. the changes are forgotten when Inkspector is closed. The next time it’s started, the peripherals will be attached as configured in Options→Peripherals.

Also, if you have Keyboard As Joystick (Options→Keyboard) set to “Kempson Joystick Interface” Inkspector must attach a Kempston regardless of the above settings, otherwise it just wouldn’t work :)

HTH.
Thanks for explaining.
Think it would be a good idea to include this in the docs.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

XoRRoX wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:31 pm Thanks for explaining.
Think it would be a good idea to include this in the docs.
It will be. Currently at 41 pages and growing rapidly...