Recognise the type-in?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

R-Tape
Site Admin

Recognise the type-in?

Post by R-Tape »

Here's a thread for MIA games that have appeared that may or may not be original. If you recognise one as a type-in (or obviously copied, modded or cracked from something else) then please shout out. Here are some for starters...

Towering Inferno

Turtle
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Re: Recognise the type-in?

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

"Turtle" looks identical to "Turtle Bridge" which is chapter 4 of Richard G Hurley's "15 Graphic Games for the Spectrum", Micro Press, 1983. Especially if line 1 is a REM statement with mchine code in it.
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

Towering Inferno looks similar to the game Bounce in the DB. I feel like there are a lot like this, but usually the tower is on the left of the screen (like the Game and Watch Fire game they are based on).
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

Kweepa wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:42 pm Towering Inferno looks similar to the game Bounce in the DB. I feel like there are a lot like this, but usually the tower is on the left of the screen (like the Game and Watch Fire game they are based on).
Thanks! You mean this one, right? :)

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... rum/Bounce
Ivanzx
Manic Miner

Post by Ivanzx »

WhatHoSnorkers wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 pm "Turtle" looks identical to "Turtle Bridge" which is chapter 4 of Richard G Hurley's "15 Graphic Games for the Spectrum", Micro Press, 1983. Especially if line 1 is a REM statement with mchine code in it.
Ace! How did you remember?! The game is not even yet in the SC database :)

https://ia600604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... .Soft).pdf
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

Ivanzx wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:04 am Ace! How did you remember?! The game is not even yet in the SC database :)

https://ia600604.us.archive.org/view_ar ... .Soft).pdf
I've got the book and the screenshot "rang a bell". I DID have to flicking through a few books to find it though.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Kweepa wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:42 pm Towering Inferno looks similar to the game Bounce in the DB. I feel like there are a lot like this, but usually the tower is on the left of the screen (like the Game and Watch Fire game they are based on).
Yeah similar. Towering Inferno does play better and has more to it. It gets a bit tricky here - given that Bounce is 1983 it's likely that TI is 'inspired by' Bounce, but that's all assumption. I'll just leave that ID as it is unless we have more info.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

WhatHoSnorkers wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 am I've got the book and the screenshot "rang a bell". I DID have to flicking through a few books to find it though.
Incredible sir. Yep that's the one, and Turtle has been inputted faithfully without modding, so that can be archived as the one. The SQL will be queued.
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 am Incredible sir. Yep that's the one, and Turtle has been inputted faithfully without modding, so that can be archived as the one. The SQL will be queued.
I just typed it in too (and submitted). There are some bits where the printing has clearly gone a bit dodgy so I corrected those in my version to match the screenshot. The book gets points for having graphics characters clearly underlined, and for using a good font. Loses points for odd spacing and having 42 characters per line.

It fits in a 16K Spectrum too!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@R-Tape,

I have updated the title of this entry from Turtle to Turtle Bridge, and uploaded the files which @WhatHoSnorkers sent me.

@pavero & @Einar Saukas, I can't seem to link an entry to a book via the preservation tools. Have I missed something?

Please could you link it to '"Turtle Bridge" which is chapter 4 of Richard G Hurley's "15 Graphic Games for the Spectrum", Micro Press, 1983'

Thanks

Peter
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:24 pm @R-Tape,

I have updated the title of this entry from Turtle to Turtle Bridge, and uploaded the files which @WhatHoSnorkers sent me.

@pavero & @Einar Saukas, I can't seem to link an entry to a book via the preservation tools. Have I missed something?

Please could you link it to '"Turtle Bridge" which is chapter 4 of Richard G Hurley's "15 Graphic Games for the Spectrum", Micro Press, 1983'
Ta Peter. I sent Einar the code to make the book link this morning. It can't be done in the preservation tools at the moment, and in this case it had to wait until the ID existed in ZXDB first.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:24 pm @pavero & @Einar Saukas, I can't seem to link an entry to a book via the preservation tools. Have I missed something?

Peter
Now you can only add info/link for Einar in the comment field.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

I thought this topic would be about people who submitted software as their own when it was actually made by someone else. Now I'm curious if such topic was ever covered. I remember we covered the topic of art that was borrowed from somewhere else, but I'm almost certain there were people who submitted POKEs or other material just to see their name in magazines, even if they weren't the authors. :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

zxbruno wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:58 am I thought this topic would be about people who submitted software as their own when it was actually made by someone else. Now I'm curious if such topic was ever covered.
Aye this thread is for that too. It's not rare in the preservation section to get MIA flagged as type-ins.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Here's another one. Does anyone recognise this as a type-in? (I'll just give a shout out to @WhatHoSnorkers ;) )

Canoe.