Inkspector 2.0.5 available

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Inky
Dizzy

Inkspector 2.0.5 available

Post by Inky »

This release's main features are redefinable keys support for physical keyboard and controllers (called COMCON in honour of the old programmable joystick interface), and the ability of the assembler to generate .pok files directly, examples included.

Full details here:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector/whatsnew.txt

Inkspector 2.0.5 here:
http://www.inkland.org.uk/inkspector

The documentation is about 80% done. I was hoping to have it finished by now and included with this release, but it'll be released separately as soon it's ready and then updated and bundled with every release from 2.0.6 onwards. That's the plan anyway.

Cheers
Inky.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: Inkspector 2.0.5 available

Post by Jbizzel »

thanks @Inky This is an excellent emulator, and its become my go to emulator of choice :) great work.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks @Inky,

It's an excellent emulator. Keep up the great work!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Golly gosh! :o This emulator is excellent. It's packed with features. Thanks!
Really like the Alt+S Local Archive search function. It's super fast.

Excellent work @Inky!!
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Thanks, Inky :)

My XBOX-S controller wasn't working in 2.0.4 but I thought it might be something with my config that I didn't take the time to investigate yet, but it works now :D
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Quick question: What does the Raise Windows feature do?
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

cmal wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:54 am Quick question: What does the Raise Windows feature do?
It brings all of the Inkspector windows to the top. It's useful when you have a lot of windows open and they're covered by non-Inkspector windows.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Inky wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:27 pm It brings all of the Inkspector windows to the top. It's useful when you have a lot of windows open and they're covered by non-Inkspector windows.
Could this be made a toggle? When debugging and such, I keep having to raise them after having switched to another application.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

XoRRoX wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:58 pm Could this be made a toggle? When debugging and such, I keep having to raise them after having switched to another application.
I'll take a look for 2.0.6.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

There is still room for improvement in emulation accuracy..
zxade
Drutt

Post by zxade »

Hi @Inky , in this new version (2.0.5), when I select one of the Spectrum 128K machines I don't seem to be able move the onscreen menu bar (for Tape Loader, 128 Basic, Calculator, etc) using the up and down arrows. Space works for making a selection, but being unable to move the bar I can only choose the Tape Loader option. The cursor keys work fine in v2.0.4, if this a bug or has something changed in how you are supposed to move the menu bar?
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

zxade wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:49 pm Hi @Inky , in this new version (2.0.5), when I select one of the Spectrum 128K machines I don't seem to be able move the onscreen menu bar (for Tape Loader, 128 Basic, Calculator, etc) using the up and down arrows. Space works for making a selection, but being unable to move the bar I can only choose the Tape Loader option. The cursor keys work fine in v2.0.4, if this a bug or has something changed in how you are supposed to move the menu bar?
Hi @zxade,

Yep, that looks like a good old-fashioned bug. As a workaround, can you try selecting the "Default" profile on the Keyboard options page and then select "Native Cursor Keys". That should keep you in business until I get chance to fix it.

Cheers
Inky.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

azesmbog wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:34 pm Image
There is still room for improvement in emulation accuracy..
Thanks for marking my work :D I suspect this is the same issue that causes a single column in the Shock megademo on a 128k to show incorrectly (I deliberately broke it in 2.0.4 to fix a game that wouldn't start - see the release notes). It's on the todo list for 2.0.6 to fix anyway.

BTW what is that test program you're running?

Cheers,
Inky.
zxade
Drutt

Post by zxade »

Inky wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:33 am Yep, that looks like a good old-fashioned bug. As a workaround, can you try selecting the "Default" profile on the Keyboard options page and then select "Native Cursor Keys". That should keep you in business until I get chance to fix it.
Great that workaround allows the menus to be controlled again, thanks.

You've provided so many unique and useful features in this emulator...always looking forward to each new release!
edjones
Drutt

Post by edjones »

Inky wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:39 am Thanks for marking my work :D I suspect this is the same issue that causes a single column in the Shock megademo on a 128k to show incorrectly (I deliberately broke it in 2.0.4 to fix a game that wouldn't start - see the release notes). It's on the todo list for 2.0.6 to fix anyway.

BTW what is that test program you're running?
https://github.com/redcode/ZXSpectrum/wiki/Tests

That particular one is called OUTI Time.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

edjones wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:09 pm https://github.com/redcode/ZXSpectrum/wiki/Tests

That particular one is called OUTI Time.
Thanks @edjones
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

For some future version would be also fine to add a keyboard helper / virtual keyboard, how we can find in Fuse, Spin, Spectaculator, etc.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

I have a problem with Full Screen Mode (GDI render). I can always see a flashing (trembling) vertical line in the middle of the screen (leading from the top to the bottom). My resolution is 2560 x 1440 px.

Here you can see, what I am talking about. (if you select 1440p or 1080p).

Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

pavero wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:00 pm For some future version would be also fine to add a keyboard helper / virtual keyboard, how we can find in Fuse, Spin, Spectaculator, etc.
Hi @pavero ,

I will certainly add it to the to-do list. But do you need this because Keyboard Assist (Alt-K) isn't working properly, or for some other reason?

Thanks
Inky.
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

pavero wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:06 pm I have a problem with Full Screen Mode (GDI render). I can always see a flashing (trembling) vertical line in the middle of the screen (leading from the top to the bottom). My resolution is 2560 x 1440 px.

Here you can see, what I am talking about. (if you select 1440p or 1080p).

I wasn't able to reproduce it on my kit, but I'll try and find some running at similar resolutions to yours and go from there.
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Inky wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:34 pm Hi @pavero ,

I will certainly add it to the to-do list. But do you need this because Keyboard Assist (Alt-K) isn't working properly, or for some other reason?

Thanks
Inky.
Yes, the Keyboard Assist is very useful tool, but it's something a little bit different. So the Virtual Keybord can be handy too, but I understand it doesn't have to be priority number one. ;)
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Inky wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:36 pm I wasn't able to reproduce it on my kit, but I'll try and find some running at similar resolutions to yours and go from there.
It seems It will be very specific problem on my notebook (with Intel Graphics) connected via HDMI to the external monitor. If I disconnect my external monitor everything is fine ...
pavero
Dynamite Dan

Post by pavero »

Hi Inky,

it would be great to add at least:

"Scale Display 400%"

Or the best option would be "User Defined Scale" - by dragging the main emulator window over the edge ..
Inky
Dizzy

Post by Inky »

pavero wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am it would be great to add at least:
"Scale Display 400%"
Done.
pavero wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am Or the best option would be "User Defined Scale" - by dragging the main emulator window over the edge ..
Sort of done :D You can enter a custom scale value. I will look at being able to drag the window too before the release is out.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

There seems to be an issue with the 4th tab of the memory viewer.

The other tabs do behave as expected.

v.2.0.5