Aliexpress

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Aliexpress

Post by Oloturia »

I tried to search "ZX Spectrum" on Aliexpress out of curiosity. The results were... well judge by yourselves.

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Aliexpress

Post by PeterJ »

I did a similar search @Oloturia!

viewtopic.php?p=68783&hilit=Bathroom#p68783
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

"Manic Minor"?

That certainly doesn't have any extra connotations that were lost somewhere between here and Shenzhen.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I do this search 2-3 times each year ( many years). Results are always similar as yours...
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

Anybody with any good or bad experiences?
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Post by SteveSmith »

Waldroid wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:42 pm I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

A few years go I used to buy a fair bit of knock-off Lego. I never had any problems, and the Lego was about a quarter of the price and indistinguishable except for not having the Lego logo on the studs. I stopped though because I started to be more discerning where I shop, so I avoid Chinese shops and Amazon out of principle.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

Waldroid wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:42 pm I've never quite nerved myself up to trying Aliexpress. It seems a slightly dodgy place to type your credit card number into... :?

Never had any problem with aliexpress, I bought different electronic components and products, everything was always fine.
I'm done with the ebay mafia a long time ago and I'm glad there's a good alternative...
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Never had any problems @Waldroid. Just remember delivery will be slow. Six weeks is not uncommon. Also electrical items may not be upto UK safety and RF emission standards. I used to buy lots of components and Arduino stuff.

I now try now to spend a bit more and buy stuff made closer to home, but with electrical stuff it's pretty much impossible.
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

Oh, that sounds okay, then. I'll give them a go!

Many thanks, chaps!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:21 pm Also electrical items may not be up to UK safety and RF emission standards.
All together now: "I got a cheap pink USB charger, from China..."

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Waldroid
Microbot

Post by Waldroid »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:57 pm All together now: "I got a cheap pink USB charger, from China..."
I well remember that video! :)

Interestingly he reviewed Ikea's new USB charger the other day and found it to be extremely safe and well-designed. For £2.50 it's just not worth chancing a cheap Chinese charger!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Rgb0cgLkjaA
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:56 pm "Manic Minor"?

That certainly doesn't have any extra connotations that were lost somewhere between here and Shenzhen.
If I understood correctly, most of these products are automatically generated by some kind of AI.
https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-amazon ... ases-fail/ (warning: a bit NSFW)
Maybe someone made a "Manic Minor" image as a joke, and the AI thought that it was the real thing.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Oloturia wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:03 am
Maybe someone made a "Manic Minor" image as a joke, and the AI thought that it was the real thing.
It woukd make a cool kid's T-shirt or baby-grow :D
Ebay is just a different looking website to Ali. Almost exactly the same products. Amazon too, it just has a better returns policy.
As to the Ikea charger? I'll put cash down that it's not made in Europe for that price.

I needed a 3 port hand valve a while ago. Found what I wanted on a .co.uk site but kept scrolling to see if there was a better price than £35...
Sure enough, the same valve appeared and it was on Ali. For £3!
I checked the image properties and they were identical. The UK site were basically scraping Ali and adding a (massive) mark up.